Criminal History of the Male Psychopath: Some Preliminary Data
This is a brief report on the first stage of a longitudinal study of criminal psychopathy. The data to be presented are the criminal records of several hundred predominantly white, male criminals who took part in at least one of our psychophysiological studies from 1964 to 1974. The records were obtained from the RCMP Fingerprint Service (FPS) files, which contained a listing of charges, convictions, and dispositions from the time of first appearance in adult court until December 31, 1975. A later report will describe the criminal histories of around 500 male criminals from their first appearance in adult court until 1982.
KeywordsAntisocial Behavior Analysis Period Antisocial Personality Disorder Criminal History Criminal Charge
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- American Psychiatric Association. 1980. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Cleckley, H. 1976. The Mask of Sanity. (5th ed.) St. Louis: Mosby.Google Scholar
- Hare, R.D. 1970. Psychopathy: Theory and research. New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Hare, R.D. 1978. Electrodermal and cardiovascular correlates of psychopathy. In: R.D. Hare and D. Schalling (Eds.) Psychopathic Behavior: Approaches to Research. Chichester: Wiley. 107–143.Google Scholar
- Hare, R.D. 1983. Diagnosis of Antisocial Personality Disorder in prison populations. Amer. Jour. Psych. In press.Google Scholar
- Hare, R.D. and D. Cox. 1978. Clinical and empirical conceptions of psychopathy. In: R.D. Hare and D. Schalling (Eds.) Psychopathic Behavior: Approaches to Research. Chichester: Wiley. 1–21.Google Scholar
- Petersilia, J. 1980. Criminal career research: A review of recent evidence. In: N. Morris and M. Tonry (Eds.) Crime and Justice: An Annual Review of Research. Vol. 2. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. 321–379.Google Scholar
- Robins, L.N. 1966. Deviant Children Grown Up. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins.Google Scholar
- Suedfeld, P. and P.B. Landon. 1978. Approaches to treatment. In: R.D. Hare and D. Schalling (Eds.) Psychopathic Behavior: Approaches to Research. Chichester: Wiley. 347–376.Google Scholar