Criminal Violence in a Birth Cohort
This chapter examines the criminal careers of males who commit violent offenses. The study is based on a very carefully defined, true cohort of all men born in Copenhagen from 1944–1947. The selection procedures and size of the cohort assure actual representation and guarantee a full range of police recorded offenses. We will confine ourselves to a brief description of the criminal behavior of these violent men. In particular we will report on the concentration and specialization of violence, other criminal behavior of the violent offender, and the age related characteristics of the violent offender.
KeywordsBirth Cohort Violent Crime Criminal Behavior Juvenile Offender Violent Offense
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Christie, N., J. Andenaes and S. Skerbaekk. 1965. A study of self-reported crime. Scandinavian Studies in Criminology. 1: 86–116.Google Scholar
- Erickson, M.L. 1972. The changing relationship between official and self-reported measures of delinquency: an exploratory predictive study. Jour. Crim. Law, Criminol., and Pol. Sci. 63: 338–395.Google Scholar
- Farrington, D.P. 1979. Longitudinal research on crime and delinquency. In: N. Morris and M. Tonry (Eds.) Crime and Justice (Vol 1). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Gibbens, T.C.N, and R.H. Ahrenfeldt. 1966. Cultural Factors in Delinquency. London: Tavistock.Google Scholar
- Klein, M.W. In press. Watch out for the last variable. In: S.A. Mednick, T.E. Moffitt and S.A. Stack (Eds.) Biology and Antisocial Behavior.Google Scholar
- McCord, J. In press. Deterence and the light touch of the law. An earlier version of this paper was presented to the American Society of Criminology Annual Meetings in San Francisco. November, 1980.Google Scholar
- West, D.J. and D.P. Farrington. 1977. The Delinquent Way of Life. New York: Crane Russak.Google Scholar
- Wolfgang, M.E. 1977. Foreword. In: S.A. Mednick and K.O. Christiansen (Eds.) Biosocial Bases of Criminal Behavior. New York: Gardner Press.Google Scholar
- Wolfgang, M.E., RM. Figlio and T. Sellin. 1972. Delinquency in a Birth Cohort. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Zimring, F. 1978. Background. In: Confronting Youth Crime: Report of the Twentieth Century Fund Task Force on Sentencing Policy Toward Young Offenders. New York: Holmes and Meiner.Google Scholar