Some Aspects of Population Redistribution in Pakistan: 1951–81
The size, character and distribution of population in Pakistan was very much influenced by the 1947 Partition of the subcontinent. This paper deals with population trends in Pakistan and discusses the impact of the early refugee influx as well as of internal migration and urbanization of the country three recent decades.
KeywordsNational Average Internal Migration Natural Increase Crude Birth Rate Decennial Census
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aghai, M.A.: Population policy and programme. In: Siddiqi, M.J. (ed.) Population Redistribution in Pakistan, pp. 56–67, University of Karachi, Karachi 1980.Google Scholar
- Afzal, M.: Urbanization and internal migration in South Asia: some facts and data sources. In: Siddiqi, M.I. (ed.) Population Redistribution in Pakistan, pp. 31–50, University of Karachi, Karachi.Google Scholar
- Ahmad, Kazi S.: A geographical study of the refugee population and some of its problems. Pakistan Geographical Review, 10,2, 1–18 (1955)Google Scholar
- Helbock, R.W.: Differential urban growth and distance consideration in domestic migration flows in Pakistan. The Pakistan Development Review, 14,1, 53–84 (1975)Google Scholar
- Jillani, M.S.: Resettlement pattern of displaced persons in Pakistan. Geographia, 2,2, 77–98 (1963)Google Scholar
- Johnson, B.L.: Pakistan, Heinemann, London 1979.Google Scholar
- Krotki, K.J.: Pakistan’s population size and growth in the light of 1972 census: evalutaion survey. The Pakistan Development Review, 15,2, 181–194 (1976)Google Scholar
- Pakistan: Census of Pakistan 1951. Office of the Census Commissioner (published 1951–57), Karachi.Google Scholar
- Pakistan: Census of Pakistan 1961. Office of Census Commissioner (published 1961–64), Karachi.Google Scholar
- Pakistan: Population Census of Pakistan 1972, Census Organization (published 1972– ), Islamabad and Karachi.Google Scholar
- Pakistan: Housing and Population Censuses of Pakistan 1980–1981: Provisional Tables. Population Census Organisation, Islamabad 1981.Google Scholar