Solar Oscillator Strengths As A Diagnostic Tool
We briefly review the Kiev program for determining oscillator strengths of Fraunhofer lines from the optical solar spectrum, which has recently resulted in a compilation of solar gf-values for 1958 lines from 40 chemical elements (Gurtovenko and Kostik 1989). These gf-values were determined empirically by fitting solar lines using standard plane-parallel LTE modelling. Errors in this modelling propagate into the gf-values; reversely, the deviations in the latter may serve as diagnostics of the modelling and thus of spectral line formation in the solar photosphere. For a small subset, comparison with reliable laboratory data can be made; for other lines there is information in the differences between fits of the line area and of the line depth.
KeywordsOscillator Strength Solar Phys Monthly Notice Solar Photosphere Iron Line
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Avrett, E. H.: 1985, in Lites, B. W. (Ed.), Chromospheric Diagnostics and Modeling, p. 67, National Solar Observatory Summer Conference, Sacramento Peak Observatory, Sunspot, New Mexico.Google Scholar
- Gurtovenko, E. A. and Kostik, R. I.: 1989, Fraunhofer Spectrum and the System of Solar Oscillator Strengths, Naukova Dumka, Kiev.Google Scholar
- Lites, B. W.: 1972, Observation and Analysis of the Solar Neutral Iron Spectrum, NCAR Cooperative Thesis No. 28, High Altitude Observatory, Boulder.Google Scholar
- Nordlund, A.: 1984, in Keil, S. L. (Ed.), Small-Scale Dynamical Processes in Quiet Stellar Atmospheres, p. 181, National Solar Observatory Summer Conference, Sacramento Peak Observatory, Sunspot, New Mexico.Google Scholar
- Rutten, R. J.: 1988a, in Cayrel de Strobel, G. and Spite, M. (Eds.), The Impact oj Very High S/N Spectroscopy on Stellar Physics, p. 367, IAU Symposium 132, Reidel, Dordrecht.Google Scholar
- Rutten, R. J.: 1988b, in Viotti, R., Vittone, A., and Friedjung, M. (Eds.), Physics oj Formation of Fell Lines Outside LTE, p. 185, IAU Colloquium 94, Reidel, Dordrecht.Google Scholar
- Rutten, R. J. and Kostik, R. I.: 1988, in Viotti, R., Vittone, A., and Friedjung, M. (Eds.), Physics of Formation of Fell Lines Outside LTEy p. 83, IAU Colloquium 94, Reidel, Dordrecht.Google Scholar
- Wiese, W. L.: 1983, in West, R. M. (Ed), Highlights of Astronomy, 6, 795.Google Scholar