Mombe and Pemocvd Growth of GaAs on Si (100) Substrates
The concentrated study of the epitaxial growth of GaAs layers on Si substrates in recent years has lead to the preparation of device quality material /1,2/. Both MOCVD (metal organic chemical vapor deposition) and MBE (molecular beam epitaxy) have been used successfully. In order to deal with the problems of lattice mismatch and differential thermal contraction often the so-called “two step method” /3,4/ is being used. This growth sequence starts with the deposition of a thin (10–100 nm) buffer layer at reduced substrate temperature (usually below 650K) before depositing the top layer at temperatures conventionally used in GaAs homoepitaxy. GaAs growth on Si substrates appears to require large V/III ratios for the starting materials in the gas phase, indicating that an excess of the group V component is an essential condition for high quality heteroepitaxial growth. For the growth of InP on Si using the MOCVD approach the same situation holds true /5/. Since it is likely that the availability of the group V element rather than that of the undissociated group V source compound is an essential requirement the use of technological approaches providing large amounts of elemental As appears to be indicated.
KeywordsBuffer Layer Metal Organic Chemical Vapor Deposition GaAs Layer Group Versus Element Differential Thermal Contraction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.JCC Fan, JM Poate eds.: Heteroepitaxy on Silicon. MRS Proc. Vol. 67 ( MRS, Pittsburgh, 1986 )Google Scholar
- 2.JCC Fan, JM Phillips, BY Tsaur: Heteroepitaxy on Silicon II. MRS Proc. Vol. 91 ( MRS, Pittsburgh, 1986 )Google Scholar
- 3.M Akiyama, Y Kawarada, M Yamaguchi: Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 23, L843, 1984Google Scholar
- 4.S M Koch, SJ Rosner, D Sisnon, JS Harris, see ref. 1 p. 37Google Scholar
- 5.A Yamamoto, N Uchida, M Yamaguchi: Optoelectronics — Devices and Technology 1, 41, 1986Google Scholar
- 7.N Pütz, E Veuhoff, H Heinecke, M Heyen, H Lüth, P Balk: J. Vac. Sci. Technol. £2, 671, 1986Google Scholar
- 8.A Brauers, F Grafahrend, H Heinecke, H Lüth, P Balk: Proc. of Advanced Materials for Telecommunications (EMRS, Strassbourg, 1986) XIII, les editions des physique, p. 231Google Scholar
- 9.H Heinecke, F Grafahrend, A Brauers, H Lüth, P Balk: MRS Proc. Vol. 75 ( MRS, Boston, 1987 ) p. 747Google Scholar
- 13.WI Wang: J.Vac.Sci.Techn. 83, 552, 1985Google Scholar