One of the approaches to solving the problem of chromatographic resolution of chiral molecules is the utilization of naturally occurring, optically active polymers. Like the interaction between an enzyme and its substrate, the polymer can lock on to the different stereochemistries of each enantiomer and provide chiral recognition. Proteins, oligosaccharides and celluloses have had the greatest degree of success, although usually bonded on to silica gel, rather than in their free state. In this chapter, celluloses, their derivatives and analogues will be discussed: oligosaccharides (i.e. cyclodextrins) and proteins (e.g, bovine serum albumin and α1 acid-glycoprotein) have been covered in earlier chapters.
KeywordsCellulose Derivative Chiral Stationary Phase Chiral Recognition Chromatographic Resolution Cellulose Triacetate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Klimisch, H.-J. and Ambrosius, D. (1976) Separation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons by high-pressure liquid chromatography. Comparison of a determination of benzo(a)pyrene with separation on columns of cross-linked cellulose acetate and a reversed-phase system. J. Chromatogr.120, 299.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Maccudieri, P., Caude, M., Rosset, R.and Tambute, A. (1987) Int. Sym. on Chiral Separations, Guildford, UK (in press).Google Scholar
- Mintas, M., Mannschreck, A. and Scheider, M.P. (1979) (1S, 2S)-(+)- and (1R, 2R)-(-)-1,2-diphenylcyclopropane from their racemic mixture by liquid chromatography on triacetylcellulose. J. Chem. Soc. Chem. Commun., 602.Google Scholar
- Okamoto, Y., Kawashima, M., Aburatani, R., Hadata, K., Nishiyama, T. and Mafuda, M. (1986a) Optical resolution of β-blockers by HPLC on cellulose triphenylcarbamate derivatives. Chem. Lett., 1237.Google Scholar
- Okamoto, Y., Kawashima, M. Yamamoto, K. and Hadata, K. (1984a) Useful chiral packing materials for high-performance liquid chromatographic resolution. Cellulose triacetate and tribenzoate coated on macroporous silica gel. Chem. Lett., 739.Google Scholar
- Okamoto, Y., H. Sakamoto, K. Hatada and Irie M. (1986b) Resolution of enantiomers by HPLC on cellulose trans- and cis- tris (4-phenylazophenylcarbamate) J. Chromatogr. 983.Google Scholar