Paclobutrazol: Control of Lodging in Japanese Paddy Rice
Paclobutrazol [(2RS, 3RS)-l-(4-chlorophenyl)-4,4-dimethyl-2-(1H-l,2,4- triazol-1-yl)pentan-3-ol], previously coded PP333, is a plant growth regulator developed by ICI Agrochemicals. This paper describes official and in-house trials conducted on rice throughout Japan. Results demonstrate reliable stem shortening and a reduction in lodging. This generally increased yield and improved work efficiency at harvest. Factors that may influence activity and the effect of variable farmer use patterns are also discussed eg. temperature, soil type and water management practices. The 0.6% granule formulation now on sale in Japan is recommended at 20–30 kg product/ha (120–180 g ai/ha), applied 15–10 days before heading. The product has low toxicity and crop residues so does not present a hazard to the farmer, or consumer.
KeywordsPlant Growth Regulator Stem Length Internode Length Water Management Practice Variable Farmer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Takano, M., History, geography and economics of Japanese Agriculture. Chemistry and Industry, 1986, 2, pp. 46 – 51.Google Scholar
- 2.Ueno, H., and Imanishi, K., Smarect: Development and Characteristic, 1989, Nohyaku, 36, pp 46 – 53 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 3.Ohta, Y., Development and availability of plant growth regulators in cost-down techniques of rice Weeds and Weeds Control. Kanzatsu., 1984, 21, pp 19 – 22 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 4.Lever, B.G., Shearing, S.J. and Batch, J.J., PP333 a new broad spectrum growth retardant. Proceedings 1982 British Crop Protection Conference - Weeds 19823–10.Google Scholar
- 5.Dalziel, J., and Lawrence, D.K., Biochemical and biological effects of Kaurene oxidase inhibitors, such as paclobutrazol. British Plant Growth Regulator group, Monograph 11, 1984, pp. 43 – 53.Google Scholar
- 6.Ueno, H., French, P.N., Kohli, A., and Matsuyuki, H., Paclobutrazol: Control of Rice lodging in Japan, Proceeding 11th International Congress of Plant Protection. Manila. 1987.Google Scholar
Other Literature referred to
- JAPR Annual Report on Plant Growth Regulators for Summer crops., 1983, 551–596., 1984, 467–506., 1985, 428–467., 1986, 449–520., 1987, 510–551., 1988, 609–701 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- JAPR Annual Report of Demonstration Trials on Herbicides and Plant Growth Regulators for Rice. 1989.Google Scholar
- Macmillan, J., Goldsmith, I.R., and Hood, K.A., Inhibition of Gibberellin Biosynthesis in Gibberella fujikuroi by PP333.Google Scholar
- Hane, M., Tamori, T., and Yamamoto, Y., Effects of anti-lodging agents on organo and yield components of rice plants. Proceedings Hokuri Crop Science Soc., 1983, 19, pp21–22Google Scholar
- Nishiyama, I., Chemical control of lodging in direct sown paddy rice., 179th Nation Conference of Crop Science Society of Japan, Tokyo, 1985, pp190–191 (in Japanese).Google Scholar