The Influence of a Real Magnet on the Performance of Cold MHD Device
With reference to a device for pumping conducting fluids the behavior of this device subjected to a magnetic field produced by a real magnet was compared with that obtained utilizing an hypothesized map of the magnetic field. Through the use of the calculation code GFUN it has been seen that the magnet which most closely approximates the ideal shape is the saddle coil type. The features of the device were computed through a calculation code which schematizes the fluid with an electrical network that has lumped parameters: this was done taking into account the armature reaction and the magnetic field produced by the current of the leads which feed the electrodes.
KeywordsMagnetic Field High Magnetic Field Electrical Network Pump Performance Magnetic Field Profile
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Del Vecchio P. and Veca G.M. “Eddy currents and field computation in a superconducting electromagnetic pump”; IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. Mag-19, No. 5, September 1983Google Scholar
- Del vecchio P. and Veca G.M. “Eddy current computation in a superconducting electromagnetic pump”; IEEE Transaction on Magnetics, Vol Mag-19, No. 6, November 1983Google Scholar
- Del Vecchio P., Geri A. and Veca G.M. “Superconducting magnets for electromagnetic d.c. pumps”; IEEE Transaction on Magnetics, Vol Mag-21, No. 2, March 1985Google Scholar
- Del Vecchio P., Geri A. and Veca G.M. “Superconducting MHD devices: their performance according to components geometry”; Paper presented at Applied Superconductivity Conference on 22th of august 1988, in S. Francisco, CAGoogle Scholar
- Newmann, M.J. et al. “GFUN: an interactive program as an aid to magnet design”; Proc. 4th Int. Conf. on Magnet Technology, Brookhaven 1972.Google Scholar