Defects and Disorder of Non-Linear Waves in Convection
The traveling-wave convection of an anisotropic fluid (a nematic liquid crystal) constitutes a novel model of nonlinear waves. We show experimentally that instabilities of the phase arise in form of localized states inducing shocks, which in turn trigger the nucleation of defects. The conditions for the nucleation, the topology and the role of these defects in the progressive disorganization of the basic wavetrain are studied. The main results can be satisfactorily simulated by using an evolution equation of the complex Newell-Landau-Ginzburg type.
KeywordsNematic Liquid Crystal Topological Defect Progressive Wave Convective Roll Anisotropic Fluid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kawasaki, K. and Ohta, T. (1982) “Kink dynamics in one dimensional nonlinear systems”, Physica 116A, 573.Google Scholar
- Joets, A. and Ribotta, R. (1989) " Defects and transition to disorder in space-time patterns of nonlinear waves, in P. Coullet and P. Huerre (eds.), New trends in nonlinear dynamics and pattern forming phenomena: the geometry of nonequilibrium. Nato Asi series B, Plenum Press (Cargese Workshop Aug. 1988);Google Scholar
- Joets, A. and Ribotta, R. (1989) in the Proceedings of Nonlinear coherent structures in physics, mecnanics and biological systems (Paris, June 1988), J. de Phys. C3.Google Scholar
- Joets, A. and Ribotta, R. (1986) “Hydrodynamic transitions to chaos in the convection of an anisotropic fluid”, J. Phys. (Paris) 47, 595.Google Scholar
- de Gennes, P. G. (1974) The Physics of Liquid Crystals, Clarendon, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Joets, A. and Ribotta, R. (1988) “Propagative structures and localization in the convection of a liquid crystal”, in, J.E. Wesfreid, H.R. Brand, P. Manneville, G. Albinet and N. Boccara, (eds.), Propagation in Systems far from Equilibrium Springer, Berlin;Google Scholar
- Joets, A. and Ribotta, R (1988) “Propagative patterns in the convection of a nematic liquid crystal”, in the Proceedings of the 12th International Liquid Crystals Conference, Aug. 1988, Freiburg), Liquid Crystals, London.Google Scholar
- Ribotta, R. (1988) “Solitons, defects and chaos in dissipative systems”, in L. Kubin, G. Martin, (eds.), Non-linear phenomena in materials science, Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland.Google Scholar
- Joets, A. and Ribotta, R. (1989) “Structure of defects in nonlinear waves”, preprint.Google Scholar
- Joets, A. and Ribotta R. (1989) “Stability of defects of nonlinear waves in traveling-wave convection”, preprint.Google Scholar