Photochemical Ring-Opening in 20-Chloro-Chlorophylls
Chlorophyll (Chl) derivatives are readily and regiospecifically chlorinated at C-20, the free methine-bridge next to the reduced ring D (1–3). The interest in chlorinated chlorophylls has recently been renewed after their isolation from extracts of various green plants, algae and cyanobacteria (4–9) and a suggested relation to photosystem I of oxygenic photosynthesis (4, 5). This relation, and hence the involvement in photosynthesis, has been met with criticism and now been disproved (8, 10–12).
KeywordsOxygenic Photosynthesis Photosynthesis Research Bile Pigment Chlorophyll Breakdown Photodynamic Damage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fischer, H. (1940) In Die Chemie des Pyrrols. (Edited by H. Fischer and H. Orth), Vol. 11, 2. Hälfte, pp. 389–397, Akademische Verlags-gesellschaft, Leipzig.Google Scholar
- 7.Watanabe, T., M. Kobayashi, M. Nakazato, I. Ikegami, and T. Hiyama (1986) Progress in Photosynthesis research, Vol. 1 (Edited by J. Biggins), pp. 303–306, Martinus Nijhoff, DordrechtGoogle Scholar
- 10.Fajer, J., E. Fujita, H. A. Frank, B. Chadwick, D. Simpson, and K. M. Smith (1986) In Progress in Photosynthesis research, Vol.1 (Edited by J. Biggins), pp. 307–310, Martinus Nijhoff, Dordrecht.Google Scholar
- 11.Katoh, T. and K. Yasuda (1987) Plant Cell Physiol. 28, 1529–1536.Google Scholar
- 13.Rüdiger, W. and S. Schoch (1989). In Chemistry and Biochemistry of plant pigments (Edited by T. W. Goodwin), pp. 1–59, Academic Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 15.Isenring, H. P., E. Zass, K. Smith, H. Falk, J. Louisiér, and A. Eschenmoser (1975) Helv. Chim. Acta 58, 2357.Google Scholar
- 18.Scheer (1976) Z. Naturforsch. 31c, 413–418Google Scholar
- 22.Brockmann, H. jr. and C. Belter (1979) Z. Naturforsch. 34, 127–128.Google Scholar
- 24.Moore, R.E. (1978) In Marine Natural Products (Edited by P.J. Scheuer), Academic Press, New York, 44–124.Google Scholar