Barred Galaxies in the Near-IR: Observations and Dynamical Implications
Morphological classifications using frames in the visual wavelengths (Nilson 1973, de Vaucouleurs et al. 1976, Sandage and Tammann 1981) show that one third of all disc galaxies present big bars, like those seen in NGC 1365, 5383, or 1300, while another third have either small bars or ovals. Observations in the near-IR reveal yet more bars in galaxies which were initially thought non-barred (e.g. Hackwell & Schweizer 1983, Scoville et al. 1988, Block & Wainscoat 1991). All these bars show important morphological differences. Thus their axial ratios cover a wide range, while their shape in the disc plane varies from elliptical-like to rectangular-like. Similar comments can be made about their relative amplitude and length with respect to the size of the disc, the existence of dust lanes or ansae, how symmetrically located they are with respect to the disc center etc. Furthermore Elmegreen & Elmegreen (1985) find from a photometric study of 15 barred galaxies that early type galaxies tend to have bars with constant intensity along their semimajor axis and stellar spiral arms with radially decreasing amplitudes, while late type barred galaxies tend to have bars with exponential-like intensity profiles and constant or radially increasing stellar spiral arm amplitudes.
KeywordsRotation Curve Semimajor Axis Disc Galaxy Early Type Galaxy Photometric Study
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Athanassoula, E. (1991) Dynamics of Disc Galaxies, ed. B. Sundelius, Goteborg University Press, p. 149Google Scholar
- Athanassoula, E. (1996) Spiral Galaxies in the Near-IR, eds. D. Minniti and H. W. Rix, Springer Verlag, p. 147Google Scholar
- De Jong, R. S. and Van der Kruit, P. C. (1994) Infrared Astronomy with Arrays ed. I. Mc Lean, Kluwer Pub, Dordrecht, p. 123Google Scholar
- De Vaucouleurs, G., de Vaucouleurs, A. and Corwin, H. G. (1976) Second Reference Catalogue of Bright Galaxies, University of texas Press.Google Scholar
- Lindblad, P., Lindblad, P. O. and Athanassoula, E. (1996) Astr. Ap., in press.Google Scholar
- Nilson, P. (1973) Uppsala General Catalogue of Galaxies Google Scholar
- Peletier, F. F. and Balcells, M. (1996) Spiral Galaxies in the Near-IR, eds. D. Minniti and H. W. Rix, Springer Verlag, p. 48Google Scholar
- Peletier, F. F., Valentijn, E. A. and Moorwood, A. F. M. and Frendling, W. (1994) Astr. Ap., 292, 369Google Scholar
- Quillen, A. C. (1996a) Barred Galaxies, Astron. Soc. Pac. Conf. Ser., eds. R. Buta, D. A. Crocker and B. G. Elmegreen, p. 390Google Scholar
- Quillen, A. C. (1996b) Spiral Galaxies in the Near-IR, eds. D. Minniti and H. W. Rix, Springer Verlag, p. 157Google Scholar
- Sandage, A. and Tammann, G. A. (1981) A Revised Shapley-Ames Catalogue of Bright Galaxies, Carnegie Institution of WashingtonGoogle Scholar
- Teuben, P., Regan, M. W. and Vogel, S. N. (1996) Barred Galaxies and Circumnuclear Activity, eds. Aa. Sandqvist, S. Jürsäter and P. O. Lindblad, Springer Verlag, in press.Google Scholar