Screening for Fusarium Scab Resistance in Triticale
The incidence of Fusarium scab in the areas intended for triticale in Romania is relatively high. Breeding for resistance to this pathogen is the main way to reduce yield losses. All breeding materials beginning with the F4 - F5 generations are tested by artificial inoculations in the field. The continuous selection pressure based on the visual score of Fusarium attack in heads and the reduction of head weight (as % of control) allows the identification of genotypes with high and stable levels of resistance according to both criteria (maximum 5 – 20% intensity of attack in heads and over 50% from the weight of control). Such genotypes are 37 TK1-105 111 R, 219 TR2-2, 6135 TW5 1101 and 1102, 5780 TW0 - 21, 318 TR8-1201, etc. Most of these genotypes have in their pedigrees the Romanian line 37 TK1 and the Polish cultivar Malno.
KeywordsArtificial Inoculation Visual Score Chinese Wheat Hexaploid Triticale Head Weight
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Arseniuk E., Goral T., Czembor H.J. Pathogenicity and differential response in Fusarium spp x Triticosecale Witt./Triticum aestivum L./Secale cereale pathosystems. Plant Breeding Acclimatization and Seed Production 1993; 37: 17–25.Google Scholar
- 2.Grzelak K. Occurence of Fusarium spp. on triticale seed in relation to seed decay and seedling root rot. Plant Breeding Acclimatization and Seed Production 1993; 37: 75–81.Google Scholar
- 3.Dormann M., Oettler G. Genetic variation of resistance to Fusarium graminearum (head blight) in primary hexaploid triticale. Plant Breeding Acclimatization and Seed Production 1993; 121–129.Google Scholar
- 4.Ittu G., Ittu Mariana, Sâulescu N.N. Preliminary results concerning resistance to Fusarium scab in triticale (Triticosecale Witt.).Rom. Probl. genet. teor. aplic. 1990; 22: 91–98.Google Scholar
- 5.Ittu Mariana, Săulescu N.N., Ittu G. Improved method of assessment of resistance to Fusarium scab in wheat.Rom. Probt. genet. teor. aplic.; 22: 1–8.Google Scholar