Evaluation of the Triticale Breeding Materials with Respect to Their Reaction to Fungal Diseases
A total of 237 strains of Triticale were evaluated in the years 1991–93 for resistance to Puccinia graminis f.sp.tritici, Puccinia recondita and Fusarium nivale under field conditions using the method of artificial inoculations. The above mentioned strains were also tested at the seedling stage in a greenhouse for resistance to Puccinia graminis and Puccinia recondita. High resistance to all pathogens was found in over 50% of studied Triticale forms in both stages of development: seedling stage and adult plant.
Another experiment was carried out in some localities of Poland in the years 1991–93 on 140 strains of Triticale with a view to evaluating resistance to leaf rust and glume blotch in field under natural inoculation conditions. Based on the results to statistical analysis genetic variability of the breeding materials with respect to their reaction to the aforementioned pathogens was determined.
KeywordsLeaf Rust Stem Rust Artificial Inoculation Artificial Infection Snow Mold
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arseniuk E, Czembor H.J., Sowa W., Krysiak H., Preliminary studies of Septoria spp. on Triticale in Poland. Proc. 3rd International Workshop on Septoria Diseases of Cereals; 1989 July 4–7. Zurich; 16–18.Google Scholar
- Arseniuk E., Czembor H.J., Triticale diseases in central Poland in 1991. Triticale Topics. International Edition 1991. No 7.Google Scholar
- Cich H. Odpornosc na plesn sniegowa rodów i odmian pszenzyta ozimego wyhodowanych w ZD HAR Malyszyn. Biul. IHAR 1990; Nr 181–182; 83–87.Google Scholar
- Lacicowa B. Wystepowanie Fusarium nivale (Fr.) Ces. na pszenzycie i podatnosc roznych rodów hodowlanych na porazenie. Rocznik Nauk Rolniczych 1986, Seria E. 16.Google Scholar
- Mclnthos A.R., Luig N.H., Milne D.L., Cusick J. Vulnerability of triticales to wheat stem rust. Can. Journal of Plant Pathology 1983. 5; 61–69.Google Scholar
- Wos H. Odpornosc pszenzyta ozimego na grzyb Leptospheria nodorum. Biul. IHAR 1992, Nr 181–182; 83–87.Google Scholar