Gas Surface Alloying of Ti6A14V Alloy by Laser
The optimization of surface alloying treatments of Ti6A14V under CO2 and N2 atmospheres with a pulsed Nd-YAG laser has been performed, trying to maximize alloyed layer hardness and minimize surface roughness. The samples were examined by light microscopy, microhardness profiles, roughness measurements and XRD. Samples obtained under a CO2 atmosphere exhibited higher hardness and lower surface roughness than those obtained under a N2 one. Pin-on-disk wear tests were also performed to compare the wear behaviour of carburized and nitrided samples. Corrosion tests in different environments have been carried out on the nitrided surfaces in order to evaluate their behaviour in comparison to untreated surfaces.
KeywordsCorrosion Test Traverse Speed Ti6Al4V Alloy Lased Track Microhardness Profile
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).Walker, A., Folkes J., Steen W.M. and West, D.R.F. (1985), Laser Surface Alloying of Ti Substrates, Surface Eng. 1985,1,23–29Google Scholar
- 2).Bell, T., Bergmaim, H.W., Lanogan, J., Morton,. P.H. and Staines A.M. (1986), Surface engineering of Titanium with Nitrogen, Surface Eng. 1986, 2, 133–143Google Scholar
- 3).Cantello, M., Bianco, M., Lorenzi, M., Giordano, L. and Ramous, E. (1990) Nitrurazione Superficiale della Lega Ti6A14V Assistita da Laser in Associazione Italiana di Metallurgia (ed.), Proc. XXIII AIM Nat Cong. (Italy) sept. 1990 Associazione Italiana di Metallurgia (Milano, Italy), pp.427–433Google Scholar
- 4).ASM Handbook, Alloy Phase Diagrams, (1992) Bakes, H. (ed.), ASM International, Materials Park, Ohio, vol. 3, p. 2.229Google Scholar
- 5).Bianco, M., Rivela, C., Zambon, A. and Costantini, G. (1993) Carburazione della Lega Ti6A14V Mediante Laser Associazione Italiana di Metallurgia (ed.), Proc. XIV National Cong. Heat Treatments (Italy) May 1993, Associazione Italiana di Metallurgia (Milano, Italy), pp. 73–83Google Scholar