Evaporation from a Porous Medium in the Presence of Salt Crystallization
The interplay between salt transport, crystallization and evaporation from a porous medium is a topic rich in interesting open problems. This is illustrated through the consideration of a few of them from experiments with model porous media. We notably discuss the factors controlling the localization of crystallization spots at the evaporative surface of a porous medium and the impact of surface crystallization on evaporation kinetics.
KeywordsPorous Medium Salt Concentration Evaporation Process Evaporation Flux Salt Transport
I am very thankful to the students and colleagues I have worked with over the years on the “salt problem”: S. Ben Nasrallah, P. Duru, H. Eloukabi, F. Hidri, M. Marcoux, N. Sghaier, S. Veran-Tissoires. Their contribution is greatly appreciated.
- 1.Goudie A, Viles H (1997) Salt weathering hazards. Wiley, ChichesterGoogle Scholar
- 4.Assouline S, Narkis K, Veran-Tissoires S, Marcoux M, Prat M (2013) Impact of heterogeneity on evaporation from bare soils. In: Mercury L, Tas N, Zilberbrand M (eds) Transport and reactivity of solutions in confined hydrosystems. Springer, Dordrecht, pp 65–74Google Scholar
- 9.Veran-Tissoires S, Prat M (Submitted) On the formation of patchy salt efflorescence at the evaporative surface of a porous mediumGoogle Scholar
- 12.Meakin P (1998) Fractals, scaling and growth far from equilibrium. Cambridge University Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- 13.Nachshon U, Shahraeeni E, Or D, Dragila M, Weisbrod N (2011) Infrared thermography of evaporative fluxes and dynamics of salt deposition on heterogeneous porous surfaces. Water Resour Res 47:W12519Google Scholar