Marine Geosciences from a Different Perspective: “Edutainment” Video Clips by Pupils and Scientists
SFB Outreach is an outreach project by two major German research consortia (“Sonderforschungsbereiche”, SFB) in ocean sciences, in which scientists collaborate with secondary schools to produce educational and entertaining video clips on the background of their research. As a new approach in science communication, experience had to be built up both with the best methods of cooperation and also with innovative ways of presentation. Within the first 2 years, about two dozen video clips were produced covering topics from the “use of benthic foraminifera as climate proxies” to “tsunami generation”. Feedback from questionnaires distributed among the participating pupils shows general enthusiasm with the project but also allows to identify strategies for improving shortcomings. A dedicated analysis of the reception of the project’s materials by its target audience (i.e. schools and also the general public) is planned for the second phase of the project.
KeywordsVideo Clip Ocean Physic Benthic Foraminifera Science Topic Research Consortium
“Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft” (German Research Foundation)
“Naturwissenschaften und Technik” (Natural sciences and technology)
“Sonderforschungsbereich” (Collaborative research centre)
Support by DFG, the German Research Foundation, in the framework of Collaborative Research Centres SFB574 and SFB754, is gratefully acknowledged.
- Allen, I. E., & Seaman, C. (July 2007). Likert scales and data analyses. Quality Progress, 40(7), 64–65.Google Scholar
- Brooks, D. (2010). Workshop to define collaborative student climate research: Raising the bar for climate science education in the 21st century. Workshop report.http://www.instesre.org/NSFWorkshop/index.htm. Accessed Dec 2011.
- European Commission. (2004). Report by the high level group on increasing human resources for science and technology in Europe, 2004. Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, 187 p.Google Scholar
- NaT-Working Meeresforschung. (2013). NaT-Working marine research. http://nat-meer.geomar.de. Accessed Dec 2011.
- SFB 574. (2013). Collaborative research center (SFB) 574 – Volatiles and fluids in subduction zones. https://sfb574.geomar.de. Accessed Dec 2011.
- SFB 754. (2013). Sonderforschungsbereich 754 – Climate – Biogeochemistry interactions in the tropical ocean.http://www.sfb754.de. Accessed Dec 2011.
- SFB Outreach. (2013). SFB Outreach – Marine science for me. https://sfb-outreach.geomar.de. Accessed Dec 2011