Prediction of Linear Viscoelastic Behaviour of Asphalt Mixes from Binder Properties and Reversal
The linear viscoelastic (LVE) behaviour of bituminous materials (observed in the small strain domain) is considered for road design. The objective of this paper is to investigate the links between the LVE properties of binders and asphalts mixes. Complex modulus tests were carried out to determine the LVE behaviours of a bituminous binder and two mixes produced with this bitumen. Dynamic Shear Rheometer (DSR) tests and tension-compression tests (using a Métravib device) were performed on the bitumen. Complex modulus E* and complex Poisson’s ratio ν * of mixes which characterize the (LVE) properties in 3 Dimension (3Dim) were measured using tension-compression tests. The experimental results show the dependence between mixes and associated bitumen behaviours. The prediction of LVE behaviour of bituminous mixes from bitumen properties was carried out using the SHStS (Shift-Homothety-Shift and time-Shift) transformation developed at ENTPE.
KeywordsAsphalt Mixture Complex Modulus Shift Factor Pavement Design Dynamic Shear Rheometer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- EN 12697-33:2003+A1:2007 standard, Bituminous mixtures – Test methods for hot mix asphalt – Part 33: Specimen prepared by roller compactor (2007)Google Scholar
- Ferry, J.D.: Viscoelastic Properties of Polymers, 642 p. John Wiley & Sons (1980)Google Scholar
- Nguyen, H.M., Pouget, S., Di Benedetto, H., Sauzéat, C.: Time-Temperature Superposition Principle for bituminous mixtures. European Journal of Environmental and Civil Engineering, 1095–1107 (2009)Google Scholar
- Nguyen, Q.T., Di Benedetto, H., Sauzéat, C.: 3D Viscoelastic Linear and Nonlinear Behavior of Asphalt Mixtures. In: 5th International Conference Bituminous Mixtures and Pavements, Thessaloniki, Greece, pp. 471–480 (2011)Google Scholar
- Nguyen, Q.T., Di Benedetto, H., Sauzeat, C., Tapsoba, N.: Time temperature superposition principle validation forbituminous mixes in the linear and nonlinear domains. J. Mater. Civ. Eng. (2012b), doi:10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0000658Google Scholar
- Olard, F., Di Benedetto, H.: General 2S2P1D model and relation between the linear viscoelastic behaviors of bituminous binders and mixes. Journal of Road Materials and Pavement Design 4(2), 185–224 (2003)Google Scholar
- Olard, F.: Comportement thermomécanique des enrobés bitumineux à basses températures. PhD. ENTPE-INSA Lyon. Mecanique, Energétique, Acoustique et Génie Civil, 221p. (2003) (in French)Google Scholar
- Pouget, S., Sauzeat, C., Di Benedetto, H., Olard, F.: From the behavior of constituent materials to the calculation and design of orthotropic bridge structures. Road Materials and Pavement Design 11(SI EATA), 111–144 (2010a)Google Scholar