Cytoglobin and Neuroglobin in the Human Brainstem and Carotid Body
The aim of the present study was to evaluate the presence of Neuroglobin (Ngb) and Cytoglobin (Cygb) in the solitary tract nucleus (STN) and in the carotid body of human subjects. Transverse serial sections of formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded brainstems, taken from six subjects, were investigated. Ngb and Cygb are expressed in both the structures. Differences in expression of Ngb and Cygb among dorsal and ventral area of the STN may be related to their different functions and different metabolic demands. Because the STN plays an important role in the processing of cardiovascular and respiratory reflex inputs, Ngb and Cygb may play an integrative central modulatory action for the two systems.
KeywordsBrain stem Carotid body Chemoreceptors Medulla Neurotransmitter
Conflicts of Interest
The authors declare no conflicts of interest in relation to this article.
- Allen, M. A., Smith, P. M., & Ferguson, A. V. (1997). Adrenomedullin microinjection into the area postrema increases blood pressure. American Journal of Physiology, 272, 1698–1703.Google Scholar
- Dewilde, S., Kiger, L., Burmester, T., Hankeln, T., Baudin-Creuza, V., Aerts, T., Marden, M. C., Caubergs, R., & Moens, L. (2001). Biochemical characterization and ligand-binding properties of neuroglobin, a novel member of the globin family. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 276, 38949–38955.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gonzalez, C., Almaraz, L., Obeso, A., & Rigual, R. (1994). Carotid body chemoreceptors: From natural stimuli to sensory discharges. Physiology Reviews, 74, 829–898.Google Scholar
- Mammen, P. P., Shelton, J. M., Goetsch, S. C., Williams, S. C., Richardson, J. A., Garry, M. G., & Garry, D. J. (2002). Neuroglobin: A novel member of the globin family is expressed in focal regions of brain. The Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, 50, 1591–1598.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mifflin, S. W. (1992). Arterial chemoreceptor input to nucleus tractus solitarius. American Journal of Physiology, 263, 368–375.Google Scholar
- Mifflin, S. W. (1993). Inhibition of chemoreceptor inputs to nucleus of tractus solitarius neurons during baroreceptor stimulation. American Journal of Physiology, 265, 14–20.Google Scholar
- Pesce, A., Dewilde, S., Nardini, M., Moens, L., Ascenzi, P., Hankeln, T., Burmester, T., & Bolognesi, M. (2003). Human brain neuroglobin structure reveals a distinct mode of controlling oxygen affinity. Structure, 3, 1146–1151.Google Scholar