Hacking and Digital Dissidence Activities
This Chapter deals with hacking activities under several points of view. The first part is dedicated to describe the history of the hacker, then the analysis try to understand hackers’ role in modern technological society, their activities, and their relationship with the world of digital dissidence. The themes that are outlined are the relationship between hacking and cybercrime, the Do-It-Yourself approach, and the evolution of the hacker ethic. The last portion of the Chapter describes the threats to several hackers (especially cease-and-desist letters) during their research activities for the circumventing of security systems. Attention is also dedicated to the action of hacking the electronic electoral system, and to the security issues related to electronic voting machines in the world.
KeywordsLegal Action Free Speech Digital World Audio Watermark Security Flaw
- Barlow, John Perry. 2000. Censorship 2000. http://www.isoc.org/oti/articles/1000/barlow.html. Accessed 14 November 2011.
- Castells, Manuel, Mireia Fernández-Ardèvol, Jack Qiu Linchuan, and Araba Sey. 2007. Mobile communication and society. Cambridge/London: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Craver, Scott A., Min Wu, Bede Liu, Adam Stubblefield, Ben Swartzlander, Dan S. Wallach, Drew Dean, and Edward F. Felten. 2001. Reading between the lines: Lessons from the SDMI challenge. http://www.usenix.org/events/sec01/craver.pdf. Accessed 23 Oct 2011.
- Crosby, Scott, Ian Goldberg, Robert Johnson, Dawn Song, and David Wagner. 2001. A cryptanalysis of the high-bandwidth digital content protection system. http://www.cypherpunks.ca/∼iang/pubs/hdcp-drm01.pdf. Accessed 23 Oct 2011.
- Doctorow, C. 2012. Internet freedom activists arrested/detained after Internet freedom conferences. http://boingboing.net/2012/06/09/internet-freedom-activists-arr.html. Accessed 10 June 2012.
- EFF Report. 2010. Unintended consequences: Twelve years under the DMCA. https://www.eff.org/wp/unintended-consequences-under-dmca. Accessed 23 Oct 2011.
- Eunjung Cha, Ariana. 2001. To attacks’ toll add a programmer’s grief. http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A1234-2001Sep20. Accessed 23 Oct 2011.
- Feldman, Ariel J., J. Alex Halderman, and Edward W. Felten. 2007. Security analysis of the Diebold AccuVote-TS voting machine. https://jhalderm.com/pub/papers/ts-evt07-init.pdf. Accessed 4 Nov 2011.
- Ferguson, Niels. 2001. Censorship in action: Why I don’t publish my HDCP results. http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/21.61.html
- Godwin, Mike. 1998. Cyber rights: Defending free speech in the digital world.Google Scholar
- Halderman, Alex J. 2003. Analysis of the MediaMax CD3 copy-prevention system. https://jhalderm.com/pub/cd3/. Accessed 23 Oct 2011.
- Halderman, Alex J., and Felten, Edward W. 2006. Lessons from the Sony CD DRM episode. https://jhalderm.com/pub/papers/rootkit-sec06.pdf. Accessed 23 Oct 2011.
- Huang, Andrew “bunnie”. 2002. Keeping secrets in hardware: The Microsoft XBoxTM case study. http://web.mit.edu/bunnie/www/proj/anatak/AIM-2002-008.pdf. Accessed 23 Oct 2011.
- Kohno, Tadayoshi, Adam Stubblefield, Aviel D. Rubin, and Dan S. Wallach. 2004. Analysis of an electronic voting system. http://avirubin.com/vote.pdf. Accessed 7 Nov 2011.
- Ku, Vicky. 2005. A critique of the digital millenium Copyright Act’s exemption on encryption research: Is the exemption too narrow? http://www.yjolt.org/files/ku-7-YJOLT-465.pdf. Accessed 16 Oct 2011.
- Leitsinger, M. 2012. App records, reports controversial police ‘stop and frisk’ practice. http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/08/12124572-app-records-reports-controversial-police-stop-and-frisk-practice. Accessed 11 June 2012.
- Lessig, Lawrence. 2009. Remix: Making art and commerce thrive in the hybrid economy. New York: Penguin Press.Google Scholar
- Lieberman, D. 2012. NYCLU releases “Stop and Frisk Watch” phone app to fight back against NYPD stops. http://www.nyclu.org/news/nyclu-releases-stop-and-frisk-watch-phone-app-fight-back-against-nypd-stops. Accessed 11 June 2012.
- Miard, Fabien. 2009. Mobile phones as a tool for civil resistance. Case studies from Serbia and Belarus. http://www.digiactive.org/wp-content/uploads/research3_miard.pdf. Accessed 22 Oct 2011.
- Schneier, Bruce. 2001. A security technologist’s view. Bruce Schneier discusses the Sklyarov case and the DMCA. http://www.cfdr.eu.org/files/schneier_flyer.pdf. Accessed 23 Oct 2011.
- Schneier, Bruce. 2008. Schneier on security. Indianapolis: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Tolbert, Caroline J., and Ramona S. McNeal. 2003. Unraveling the effects of the internet on political participation? Political Research Quarterly 56(2): 175–185.Google Scholar
- Wolchok, Scott, Eric Wustrow, J. Alex Halderman, Hari K. Prasad, Arun Kankipati, Sai Krishna Sakhamuri, Vasavya Yagati, and Rop Gonggrijp. 2010. Security analysis of India’s electronic voting machines. https://jhalderm.com/pub/papers/evm-ccs10.pdf. Accessed 4 Nov 2010.
- Wu, Min, Scott A. Craver, Edward W. Felten, and Bede Liu. 2002. Analysis of attacks on SDMI audio watermarks. http://www.ece.umd.edu/∼minwu/public_paper/icassp01_sdmi.pdf. Accessed 23 Oct 2011.
- Yen, Alfred C. 2003. What federal gun control can teach us about the DMCA’s anti-trafficking provisions. http://www.chicagoip.com/yenarticle.pdf. Accessed 23 Oct 2011.
- Zimmerman, Matt. 2007. Testifier before the house subcommittee on elections. http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CHRG-110hhrg35805/pdf/CHRG-110hhrg35805.pdf Accessed 5 Nov 2011.
- Zimmermann, Philip. 1995. Author’s preface to the book: “PGP Source Code and Internals”. http://www.philzimmermann.com/EN/essays/index.html. Accessed 23 Oct 2011.
- Zimmermann, Philip. 2001. No regrets about developing PGP. http://www.philzimmermann.com/EN/essays/index.html. Accessed 23 Oct 2011.