EBV-Positive Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma of the Elderly
The purpose of this chapter is to provide a thorough summary of the existing knowledge of EBV-positive DLBCL of the elderly. We will discuss the pathogenesis behind EBV-driven malignant transformation of B-cells, the different EBV latency patterns associated with DLBCL, the distinct pathological characteristics of EBV-positive DLBCL, the differential diagnosis of EBV-positive DLBCL, the clinical characteristics of patients with EBV-positive DLBCL of the elderly, the potential predictive and prognostic value of EBV tumoral status in patients with DLBCL, and potential strategies for the treatment of this rare entity.
KeywordsHodgkin Lymphoma Overall Response Rate Primary Effusion Lymphoma DLBCL Patient Classical Hodgkin Lymphoma
Dr. Castillo would like to thank Dr. Roberto N. Miranda from the Division of Hematopathology at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas for providing the pathological images included in this chapter.
- ClinicalTrials.gov. Bortezomib and Ganciclovir in treating patients with relapsed or refractory Epstein Barr virus-positive lymphoma. Available at http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00093704. Accessed 30 Aug 2010
- ClinicalTrials.gov. Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV)-specific T cells as therapy for relapsed/refractory EBV-positive lymphomas. Available at http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00779337. Accessed 30 Aug 2010
- ClinicalTrials.gov. Safety study of EBV specific cytotoxic T-cells to treat relapsed EBV-positive lymphoma. Available at http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00058617. Accessed 30 Aug 2010
- ClinicalTrials.gov. Study of arginine butyrate and ganciclovir/valganciclovir in EBV(+) lymphoid malignancies. Available at http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00917826. Accessed 30 Aug 2010
- DLBCL (1993) A predictive model for aggressive non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. The international non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma prognostic factors project. N Engl J Med 329(14):987–994Google Scholar
- Nakamura S, Jaffe E et al (2008) EBV positive diffuse large B-cell of the elderly. In: Swerdlow S, Campo E, Harris N et al (eds) WHO classification of tumours of haematopoietic and lymphoid tissues. IARC, Lyon, pp 243–244Google Scholar
- Pfreundschuh M, Trumper L et al (2006) CHOP-like chemotherapy plus rituximab versus CHOP-like chemotherapy alone in young patients with good-prognosis diffuse large-B-cell lymphoma: a randomised controlled trial by the MabThera International Trial (MInT) Group. Lancet Oncol 7(5):379–391PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar