Geospatial Technique to Study Forest Cover Using ALOS/PALSAR Data
Forests are one of the most crucial life supporting system that provide range of economic, social and environmental benefits, including essential ecosystem services such as climate change mitigation and adaptation. Forest plays an important role in maintaining ecological balance and homeostatic in the environment (Wulder and Franklin, 2003). Forest cover mapping is necessary for sustainable management and utilization of forest resources. Forest cover monitoring based on geospatial data can significantly contribute in future forest management plans for reducing deforestation and implementation of climate change mitigation policies. Establishing a reliable baseline of forest cover and monitoring forest cover change in the tropical countries become essential (FAO, 2001; REDD, 2010). Recent report of FRA (2010) shows the global change in forest area is about -5.2 million hectares per year during 2001-2010.
KeywordsForest Cover Synthetic Aperture Radar Advance Land Observation Satellite Coherency Matrix Climate Change Mitigation Policy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors are highly thankful to the Monbukagakusho (MEXT) Japanese Government fellowship which helped to pursue research. Authors also want to put on record contribution of Institute of Industrial Science, The University of Tokyo for facilitating data analysis in its labs and also to the Department of Civil Engineering, The University of Tokyo for providing fund during the field visit.
- Avtar, R., Singh, C.K., Shashtri, S. and Mukherjee, S. (2011). Identification of erosional and inundation hazard zones in Ken-Betwa River Linking Area, India using remote sensing and GIS. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, doi.org/10.1007/ s10661-011-1880-6.Google Scholar
- Entekhabi, D., Njoku, E.G., O'Neill, P.E., Kellogg, K.H., Crow, W.T., Ed e lstein, W.N., Entin, J.K., Goodman, S.D., Jackson, T.J., Johnson, J., Kimball, J., Piepmeier, J.R., Koster, R.D., Martin, N., McDonald, K.C., Moghaddam, M., Moran, S., Reichle, R., Shi, J.C., Spencer, M.W., Thurman, S.W., Tsang, L. and Van Zyl, J. (2010). The soil moisture active passive (SMAP) mission. Proceedings of the IEEE, 98(5), 704-716.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- FAO (2001). State of the World's forests. Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations, Rome.Google Scholar
- FRA (2005). Global Forest Resources Assessment. Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations, Rome.Google Scholar
- FRA (2010). Global Forest Resources Assessment. Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations, Rome.Google Scholar
- Guerra, J.B., Freitas, C.D.C. and Mura, J.C. (2008). Evaluating potential of band polar data to discrimination increment areas in Amazon rain forest. Proceedings of IEEE IGARSS08.Google Scholar
- IPCC (2007), Climate Change 2007: Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, edited by S. Solomon et al. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, U.K.Google Scholar
- Mitnil, L.M. (2008). Advanced land observing satellite PALSAR observations of the oceanic dynamic phenomena in the coastal zone. IEEE, IGARSS 2008.Google Scholar
- Patel, P., Srivastava, H.S. and Navalgund, R.R. (2009). Use of synthetic aperture radar polarimetry to characterize wetland targets of Keoladeo National Park, Bharatpur, India. Current Science, 97(4), 25, 529-537.Google Scholar
- Pottier, E., Ferro-Famil and Lee, J.S. (2008). POLSARPRO V4.0 - lecture notes: Advanced concepts. Available at: http://earth.esa.int/polsarpro/.
- REDD (2010). Resource book, GOFC-GOLD.Google Scholar
- Singh, G., Venkataraman, G., Kumar, V., Rao, Y.S. and Snehmam (2008). The H/A/ Alpha polarimetric decomposition theorem and complex wishart distribution for snow cover monitoring. Presented in IGARSS'08 at Boston, USA.Google Scholar
- Thakur, J.K., Srivastava, P.K., Singh, S.K. and Vekerdy, Z. (2011). Ecological monitoring of wetlands in semi-arid region of Konya closed Basin, Turkey. Regional Environmental Change (DOI: 10.1007/s10113-011-0241-x).
- Thakur, J.K. and Singh, S.K. (2010). Eco-hydrological monitoring of wetlands in a semi-arid region using remote sensing, GIS, GPS and various data sets: A case study of Konya closed basin, Turkey IAH 2010, Krakow, Poland.Google Scholar
- Williams, K., Sader, S.A., Pryor, C. and Reed, F. (2006). Application of geospatial technology to monitor legacy conservation easements. Journal of Forestry, 104, 89-93.Google Scholar