Pressure-Correction Method and Its Applications for Time-Domain Flooding Simulation
The principle idea of using pressure-correction method for time-domain flooding simulation is presented. Special attention is paid on the handling of large openings and relevant modifications to the equations. Practical examples of application are also discussed. First, progressive flooding in a complex system of rooms and openings of a passenger ship is presented. The study concentrates on the effect of input parameters for non-watertight structures. The second example demonstrates cross-flooding calculation with the air compressibility taken into account.
KeywordsPressure Loss Discharge Coefficient Water Height Passenger Ship Flooding Simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dillingham J (1981) Motion Studies of a Vessel with Water on Deck, Marine Technol, 18:38-50.Google Scholar
- IMO Resolution MSC.245(83) (2007) Recommendation on a Standard Method for Evaluating Cross-Flooding Arrangements, Int. Marit Organ, adopted on 12 Oct 2007.Google Scholar
- IMO SLF47/INF.6 (2004) Large Passenger Ship Safety: Survivability Investigation of Large Passenger Ships, submitted by Finland, 11. June 2004.Google Scholar
- Pawlowski M (2003) Accumulation of Water on the Veh Deck, Proc. Inst Mech. Eng. 217 Part M: J. Eng for the Marit Environment, pp. 201-211.Google Scholar
- Peters AJ, Galloway M, Minnick PV (2003) Cross-Flooding Design Using Simulations, Proc of the 8th Int Conf on Stab of Ships and Ocean Veh, Madrid, Spain, 2003, 743-755.Google Scholar
- Pittaluga C, Giannini M(2006) Pressure Losses Estimation for Structural Double Bottom by CFD Technique, CETENA Technical Report.Google Scholar
- Ruponen P (2006) Pressure-Correction Method for Simulation of Progressive Flooding and Internal Air Flows, Schiffstechnik – Ship Technol Res, 53:63-73.Google Scholar
- Ruponen P (2007) Progressive Flooding of a Damaged Passenger Ship, Doctoral Dissertation, Helsinki Univ of Technol, TKK Dissertations 94.Google Scholar
- Ruponen P, Sundell T, Larmela M (2007) Validation of a Simulation Method for Progressive Flooding, Int. Shipbuild. Prog., 54, pp. 305-321.Google Scholar
- Solda GS (1961) Equalisation of Unsymmetrical Flooding, Transactions of Royal Inst of Naval Archit, RINA, Vol. 103: 219-225.Google Scholar
- Vredeveldt AW, Journée JMJ (1991) Roll Motion of Ships due to Sudden Water Ingress, Calculations and Experiments, RINA’91, Int Conf on Ro-Ro Safety and Vulnerability the Way Ahead, London, United Kingdom, 17-19. April 1991, Vol. I.Google Scholar
- Xia J, Jensen JJ, Pedersen PT (1999) A Dynamic Model for Roll Motion of Ships Due to Flooding, Schiffstechnik – Ship Technol Res, 46: 208-216.Google Scholar