Recent Developments Concerning High-Velocity Clouds
I summarize the new developments in HVC research that have occurred in the past few years. These include a) the determination of approximate distances to some IVCs and HVC complex A; b) the measurement of the metallicity of the Magellanic Stream and the conclusion that tidal forces are dominant in creating the Stream; c) the derivation that the metallicity of complex C is 0.1 solar, with some evidence for metallicity variations; d) the result that N/O in complex C is 0.2 times the solar ratio, a value otherwise only seen in dwarf galaxies and Damped Lyα systems; e) the discovery of high-velocity O VI absorption, both associated with previously known HI HVCs and in directions without a HI HVC; f) the proposal that HVCs form a population of objects permeating the Local Group.
KeywordsLocal Group Column Density Galactic Halo Magellanic Cloud Heavy Element Abundance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hartmann, D. and Burton, W.B.: 1997, Atlas of Galactic Neutral Hydrogen, Cambridge University Press (LDS).Google Scholar
- Muller, CA., Oort, J.H. and Raimond, E.: 1963, CR. Acad. Sei. Paris 257, 1661.Google Scholar
- Savage, B.D., Sembach, K.R., Wakker, B.P. et al.: 2003, ApJS, astro-ph/0208140.Google Scholar
- Sembach, K.R., Wakker, B.P, Savage, B.D. et al.: 2003, ApJS, astro-ph/0207562.Google Scholar
- Tripp, T.M., Wakker, B.P. et al.: 2003, ApJ, submitted.Google Scholar
- van Woerden, H., Peletier, R.F., Schwarz, U.J., Wakker, B.P. and Kalberla, P.M.W: 1999b, in: B.K. Gibson, T.S. Axelrod and M.E. Putman (eds.), ASP Conf. Sen 165, p. 469.Google Scholar
- Wakker, B.P, Savage, B.D., Sembach, K.R. et al.: 2003, ApJS, astro-ph/0208009.Google Scholar
- Weiner, B.J., Vogel, S.N. and Williams, T.B.: 2002, in: J.S. Mulchaey and J.T. Stocke (eds.), ASP Conf. Proc. 254, p. 256.Google Scholar