The Application of Self-Consistent Approaches to Modeling Mechanical Behaviour of Heterogeneous Two Phase Solids
One of the key problems in understanding the mechanical response of particulate-reinforced materials is the role played by heterogeneity of microstructure. Such heterogeneity occurs on a variety of scales. At the level of individual particles, there is the distribution in particle size (and perhaps also particle shape and orientation). When the particles are small (submicron), the yield stress (essentially the stress for dislocation bypass) is a function of particles size and spacing . For larger particles, the yield strength becomes size-independent. However, the fracture strength of the particles (i.e. the stress required to either break a particle of to decohere its interface with the matrix) is size-dependent at all scales. Therefore, in a material containing a distribution of particle sizes there will be a distribution of both the local flow and fracture stress.
KeywordsMetal Matrix Composite Weibull Modulus Weibull Analysis Orowan Stress Particulate Metal Matrix Composite
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C.-W. Nan and D. R. Clarke, “The Influence of Particle Size and Particle Fracture On the Elastic/Plastic Deformation of Metal Matrix Composites”, Acta Metall Mater., 44 3801–12 (1996).Google Scholar
- 2.D. S. Wilkinson, E. Maire and J. D. Embury, “The Role of Heterogeneity On the Flow and Fracture of Two-Phase Materials”, Mater. Sci. Engin., in press (1997).Google Scholar
- 3.E. Maire, D. S. Wilkinson, J. D. Embury and R. Fougeres, “Role of Damage On the Flow and Fracture of Particulate Reinforced Alloys and Metal Matrix Composites”, Acta Metall. Mater., in press (1997).Google Scholar
- 6.W. Kreher and W. Pompe, Internal stresses in heterogeneous solids. Akademie-Verlag Berlin, Berlin, 1989.Google Scholar
- 8.K. T. Conlon, S. F. Corbin and D. S. Wilkinson, “The Effect of Inhomogeneous Particle Distributions On the Mechanical Properties of Metal Matrix Composites”, pp. 217–28 in Proc. Intl. Conf. on Developments and Applications of Ceramics and New Metal Alloys. Edited by M. Mostaghaci and R. A. L. Drew. Metallurgical Society of CIM, Montreal, 1993.Google Scholar