Ethical Issues in Australian Prison Psychiatry
Australia is a functioning democracy that has inherited many of its governmental practices from the United Kingdom, despite its location on the Pacific Rim. It is a commonwealth of six states and two territories, as well as some offshore dependencies. The latter are relevant as Australia has chosen to locate some immigration detention facilities on these islands.
KeywordsMental Health Service Mental Health Care Intellectual Disability Torres Strait Islander Female Prisoner
Thanks to the following psychiatrists who provided details of services in a range of states: Prof John Basson, Dr Michael Evenhuis, Dr Ed Heffernan, Dr Michael Jordan, Dr Len Lambeth, Dr Ken O’Brien, Dr Ed Petch.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. 2009. Experimental estimates and projections, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians 1991 to 2021, cat no. 3238.0. http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/allprimarymainfeatures/4EF9B192CB67360CCA256F1B0082C453. Viewed 3 Jan 2011.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. 2010a. Australian demographic statistics, Jun 2010. http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/3101.0. Viewed 3 Jan 2011.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. 2010b. Prisoners in Australia, 2010, cat no.4517.0. http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/4517.0. Viewed 3 Jan 2011.
- Australian Institute of Criminology. 2010. Trend in sexual assault. http://www.aic.gov.au/statistics/violent%20crime/sexual%20assault.aspx. Viewed 3 Jan 2011.
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. 2010. Health of Australia’s prisoners 2009. http://www.aihw.gov.au/publications/index.cfm/title/11012. Viewed 3 Jan 2011.
- Baroff, G.S., M. Gunn, and S. Hayes. 2008. Offenders with developmental disabilities. London: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Bartholomew, A.A., L.A. Brain, A.S. Douglas, and W.S. Reynolds. 1967. A medico-psychiatric diagnostic review of remanded (without a request for a psychiatric report) male minor offenders. The Medical Journal of Australia 11(1): 267–269.Google Scholar
- Brouwer, G.E. 2006. Conditions for persons in custody. Ombudsman Victoria. http://www.ombudsman.vic.gov.au/resources/documents/Conditions_for_persons_in_custody.pdf. Viewed 3 Jan 2011.
- Comrie, N. 2005. Inquiry into the circumstances of the Vivian Alvarez matter. Department of Immigration and Citizenship, Canberra. http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publications/pdf/alvarez_report03.pdf. Viewed 3 Jan 2011.
- Dodson, M. 2008. Bringing them home: Report of the national inquiry into the separation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children from their families. Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission, Canberra. www.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/AUIndigLawRpr/1997/36.html. Viewed 3 Jan 2011.
- Freckelton, I., and P. Keyzer. 2010. Indefinite Detention of Sex Offenders and Human Rights: The Intervention of the Human Rights Committee of the United Nations – Re Fardon, Communication No 1629/2007, Human Rights Committee of the United Nations, 18 March 2010; Re Tillman, Communication No 1635/2007, Human Rights Committee of the United Nations, 18 March 2010. Psychiatry, Psychology and Law 17(3): 345–354.Google Scholar
- Hughes, R. 1987. The fatal shore. London: Collins Harvell.Google Scholar
- International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. 1976. Vol. GA res. 2200A (XXI), 21 UN GAOR Supp. (No. 16) at 52, UN Doc. A/6316 (1966); 999 UNTS 171; 6 ILM 368 (1967).Google Scholar
- McLennan, W. 1998. Mental health and wellbeing: Profile of adults, Australia 1997. Australian Bureau of Statistics, cat no. 4326.0. http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/ProductsbyReleaseDate/D5A0AC778746378FCA2574EA00122887. Viewed 3 Jan 2011.
- McSherry, B., and P. Keyzer. 2009. Sex offenders and preventive detention: Politics, policy and practice. Sydney: The Federation Press.Google Scholar
- Mental Health (Forensic Provisions) Regulation 2009 (NSW). http://www.austlii.org/au/legis/nsw/consol_reg/mhpr2009446. Viewed 17 Jan 2011.
- Muirhead, J. 1991. Royal Commission into Aboriginal deaths in custody. Canberra: Australian Govt. Pub. Service. http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/other/IndigLRes/rciadic/. Viewed 3 Jan 2011.
- National Statement of Principles for Forensic Mental Health. 2002. http://www.health.wa.gov.au/mhareview/resources/documents/FINAL_VERSION_OF_NATIONAL_PRINCIPLES_FOR_FMH-Aug_2002.pdf. Viewed 3 Jan 2011.
- Palmer, M. 2005. Inquiry into the circumstances of the immigration detention matter of Cornelia Rau. Canberra: Department of Immigration and Citizenship. www.immi.gov.au/media/publications/pdf/palmer-report.pdf. Viewed 3 Jan 2011.
- Penovic, T., and A. Dastyari. 2007. Boatloads of incongruity: The evolution of Australia’s offshore processing regime. Australian Journal of Human Rights 13(1): 33–61.Google Scholar
- R v Benbrika and ors (Ruling No. 20)  VSC 80.Google Scholar
- R v Rollo  VSCA 154.Google Scholar
- Revised Standard Guidelines for Corrections in Australia. 2004. http://www.aic.gov.au/criminal_justice_system/corrections/reform/~/media/aic/research/corrections/standards/aust-stand_2004.ashx. Viewed 3 Jan 2011.