Lamb Waves in Phononic-Crystal Plates: Numerical Studies and Experiments
In this paper, the Lamb waves inside phononic-crystal (PC) plates areinvestigated numerically and experimentally. Two types of PC plates are studied:flat PC plates that composed of binary constituents and surface-stubbed PC plateswith single constituting material but periodic cylindrical stubs protruded on one ofthe plate surfaces. The dispersion and characteristic displacement of Lamb wavesare analyzed. Further, resonant cavities and waveguides are defined and the relatedacoustic modes were investigated. The analyses help understand the fundamental of Lamb waves inside PC plates, cavities and waveguides. Thus newacoustic devices based on PC could be designed accordingly.
KeywordsSurface Acoustic Wave Resonant Mode Lamb Wave Resonant Cavity Phononic Crystal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- .Tanaka, Y. and Tamura,S.: Surface acoustic waves in two-dimensional periodic elastic structures. Phys. Rev. B 58 7958-7965 (1998).Google Scholar
- .Sun, J.-H. and Wu, T.-T.: Propagation of surface acoustic waves through sharply bent two-dimensional phononic crystal waveguides using a finite-difference time-domain method. Phys. Rev. B 74 174305 (2006).Google Scholar
- .Khelif, A., Aoubiza, B., Mohammadi, S., Adibi, A. and Laude, V.: Complete band gaps in two-dimensional phononic crystal slabs. Phys. Rev. E 74 046610 (2006).Google Scholar
- .Sun, J.-H. and Wu, T.-T.: Propagation of acoustic waves in phononic-crystal plates and waveguides using a finite-difference time-domain method. Phys. Rev. B. 76 104304 (2007).Google Scholar
- 0.Wu, T.-T., Huang, Z.-G., Tsai, T.-C. and Wu, T.-C.: Evidence of complete band gap and resonance in a plate with periodic stubbed surface.Appl.Phys. Lett. 93 111-902 (2008).Google Scholar
- 1.Wu, T.-C., Wu, T.-T. and Hsu, J.-C.: Waveguiding and frequency selection of Lamb waves in a plate with a periodic stubbed surface.Phys. Rev. B 79 104306 (2009).Google Scholar