The Prim Programme: A Regional Plan for Integrated Risk Assessment and Management
The Lombardy Region has recently launched a project (PRIM – Regional Plan for the Governance of Risk) aimed at an integrated risk assessment as a decision support for local policies of risk prevention and management. The project has been developed and coordinated by the Lombardy Foundation for the Environ ment in cooperation with universities and research institutions of the region.
Eight major risks have been considered: natural (floods–landslides, extreme meteorological events, forest fires, earthquakes), technological (relevant industrial accidents, transport of dangerous substances) and social risks (labour accidents, road accidents, urban security).
For each of them, hazard factors as well as vulnerability elements for selected targets have been calculated, weighted and combined with proper algorithms in order to obtain GIS-based risk maps with a fine space resolution (1 km2 square cells).
The individual risk maps have been overlapped and integrated, achieving a final integrated risk map capable of selecting the most critical areas throughout the region, to which specific policies of prevention and/or mitigation of the major risks ought to be addressed.
KeywordsGeographic Information System Risk Governance Prim Programme Lombardy Region Hazard Factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Carpignano A., Golia E. and Di Mauro C. (2007) A methodological approach for the Definition of Multi-Risk Maps at Regional Level, In: New Knowledge, Theories and Methodologies for the Analysis and Management of Risk, Reliability and Societal Safety, ESREL 2007, Stavanger, Norway June 25-27 2007.Google Scholar
- 2.Alippi C., Ballio F., Menoni S., Rota R. (2007) Piano per il rischio integrato d’area e metodologie di interventi di mitigazione del rischio integrato d’area. Politecnico di Milano. PRIM project Technical Report.Google Scholar
- 3.Di Mauro C., Bouchon S., Carpignono A., Golia E. and Peressin S. (2006) Definition of multi-risk maps at regional level as management tool: experience gained by civil protection authorities of Piemonte region, In: VGR 2006, Università degli Studi (ITA), 5° Conference on risk assessment and management in the civil and industrial settlements, Pisa 17-19 October 2006.Google Scholar
- 4.Cardona, Hurtado, Duque, Moreno, Chardon, Velasquez, Prieto (2003) Indicators for Risk Measurement: Fundamentals for a Methodological Approach. IADB/IDEA Program on Indicators for disaster Risk Management, Universitad Nacional de Colombia, Manizales. 5. Wirthmann A., Annoni A., Bernard L. and Nowak J. (2005) Proposal for a European grid coding system. In: European Reference Grids, volume EUR 21494 EN, pages 39-46. European Commission, Joint Research Centre.Google Scholar
- 5.Openshaw S. and Alvanides S. (1999) Applying geocomputation to the analysis of spatial distributions, In: Longley P.A., Goodchild M.F., Maguire D.J. and Rhind D.W. (Eds) Geographical Information Systems: Principles, Techniques, Applications and Management. Chichester: Wiley, Vol. 1, 267-282.Google Scholar
- 6.Saaty T.L. (1990) Multicriteria Decision Making: The Analytic Hierarchy Process, Vol. 1, AHP Series, RWS Publications, 502 pp. (Metodo AHP - Analytic Hierarchy Process, di aiuto alla decisione multi-criteri (MCDA, Multi-Criteria Decision Aid).Google Scholar
- 7.Saaty T.L. (1996) The Analytic Network Process, RSW Publications, Pittsburgh.Google Scholar