Semantics for the Asynchronous Communication in LIPS, a Language for Implementing Parallel/distributed Systems
This paper presents the operational semantics for the message passing system for a distributed language called LIPS. The message passing system is based on a virtual machine called AMPS(Asynchronous Message Passing System) designed around a data structure that is portable and can go with any distributed language. The operational semantics that specifies the behaviour of this system uses structured operational semantics to reveal the intermediate steps that helps with analysis of its behaviour. We are able combine this with the big-step semantics that specifies the computational part of the language to produce a cohesive semantics for the language as a whole.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. S. Bavan and E. Illingworth, A Language for Implementing Parallel and distributed Systems using asynchronous point-to-point communication (Nova Science Publishers, Inc., Commack, NY, USA, 2001), ISBN 159033-116-8.Google Scholar
- E. Albert, M. Hanus, F. Huch, J. Olvier, and G. Vidal, in Proc. of the Int’l Workshop on Reduction Strategies in Rewriting and Programming (WRS 2002) (Elsevier Science Publishers, 2002), vol. 70 of Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science.Google Scholar
- D. Berry, R. Milner, and D. N. Turner, in Annual Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages, Proceedings of the 19th ACM SIGPLAN-SIGACT (1992), pp. 119–129.Google Scholar
- K. Mitchell, Tech. Rep., LFCS report ECS-LFCS-94-311 (1994).Google Scholar
- A. S. Bavan, A. V. S. Rajan, and G. Abeysinghe, in Proceedings of IADIS International Conference Applied Computing 2007, Salamanca, Spain (18th–20th February 2007) (IADIS, 2007), URL http://www.pms.ifi.lmu.de/publikationen/#REWERSE-RP-2007-012.
- A. V. S. Rajan, A. S. Bavan, and G. Abeysinghe, Semantics for an Asynchronous Message Passing System (Springer, 2007), vol. XVIII of Advances and Innovations in Systems, Computing Sciences and Software Engineering, ISBN 978-1-4020-6263-6.Google Scholar
- A. V. S. Rajan, A. S. Bavan, and G. Abeysinghe, An equivalence theorem for the specification of asynchronous communication systems(SACS) and Asynchronous Message Passing Systems(AMPS) (Springer, Due in 2010), Advanced Techniques in Computing Sciences and Software Engineering, ISBN 978-90-481-3659-9.Google Scholar