Braced Excavation Collapse: Nicoll Highway, Singapore
The island city-state of Singapore has one of the best public transport systems in the world. The Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) railway network is the main backbone of this system. Construction of a new 33.6 km long underground Circle MRT Line (CCL) started in 2001. Costing approximately $6.7 billion, the CCL will link all the radial lines leading to the city (Fig. 6.1a). The first stage of this construction (CCL1) was 5.4 km long and was subdivided into two contracts: C824 and C825 (Fig. 6.1b).
KeywordsPore Water Pressure Earth Pressure Excess Pore Water Pressure Undrained Shear Strength Diaphragm Wall
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- COI Report (2005) Report of the Committee of Inquiry into the Incident at the MRT Circle Line Worksite that led to the Collapse of the Nicoll Highway on 20 April 2004. Ministry of Manpower, Singapore, 11 May 2005.Google Scholar
- Davies, R.V., Fok, P., Norrish, A. and Poh, S.T. (2006) The Nicoll Highway collapse: field measurements and observations. Proceeding of the International Conference on Deep Excavations, Singapore, 15 pp.Google Scholar
- Jaky, J. (1944). The coefficient of earth pressure at rest. Journal of the Society of Hungarian Engineers and Architects, Budapest, 355–358.Google Scholar
- Muir Wood, D. (1990) Soil Behaviour and Critical State Soil Mechanics. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 486 pp.Google Scholar
- Roscoe, K.H. and Burland, J.B. (1968) On the generalised stress-strain behaviour of “wet” clay. In Engineering Plasticity, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 533–609.Google Scholar
- Schofield, A. and Wroth, P. (1968) Critical State Soil Mechanics. McGraw-Hill, London.Google Scholar
- Terzaghi, K., Peck, R.B. and Mesri, G. (1996) Soil Mechanics in Engineering Practice. Wiley-Interscience, New York.Google Scholar
- Whittle, A.J. and Davies, R.V. (2006) Nicoll Highway Collapse: Evaluation of geotechnical factors affecting design of excavation support system. Proceedings of the International Conference on Deep Excavations, Singapore,16 pp.Google Scholar
- Wikipedia, (2009) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nicoll_Highway_Mrt_Locator.png