Reconfigurable Hardware Implementation of a GPS-Based Vehicle Tracking System
In this chapter, we build on a recently produced VTS (The Aram Locator) offering a SOC replacement of the microcontroller-based implementation. Although the microcontroller-based system has acceptable performance and cost, an FPGA-based system can promise less cost and a more cohesive architecture that would save processing time and speeds up system interaction. The performance of the proposed implementations is evaluated on different FPGAs. The suggested designs show enhancement in terms of speed, functionality, and cost.
KeywordsHardware Implementation Vehicle Tracking System-GPS-Based-Reconfigurable FPGA
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. Ashraf, Y. Arjumand, An Approach to Task Allocation for Dynamic Scheduling in Reconfigurable Computing Systems, International Multitopic Conference, 2005, pp. 1–6.Google Scholar
- 2.V. Subramanian, J. Tront, S. Midkiff, C. Bostian, A Configurable Architecture for High Speed Communication Systems, Military and Aerospace Applications of Programmable Logic Devices (MAPLD) International Conference, Vol. 3, pp. E11 1–9, Sept. 2002.Google Scholar
- 4.V. Subramanian, J. Tront, C. Bostian, S. Midkiff, Design and Implementation of a Configurable Platform for Embedded Communication Systems, IPDPS, 2003, p. 189.Google Scholar
- 5.M. Shanblatt, B. Foulds, A Simulink-to-FPGA Implementation Tool for Enhanced Design Flow, International Conference on Microelectronic Systems Education, 2005, pp. 89–90.Google Scholar
- 6.F. Vahid, T. Givargis, Embedded System Design, A Unified Hardware/Software Introduction (Wiley, New York, 2001).Google Scholar
- 7.Z. Osman, M. Jrab, S. Midani, R. Zantout, Implementation of a System for Offline Tracking Using GPS, Mediterranean Microwave Symposium, 2003.Google Scholar
- 8.NMEA Reference Manual SiRF Technology, Inc. 148 East Brokaw Road San Jose, CA 95112, USA; http://www.nmea.org
- 9.R. Kuhne, R. Schafer, J. Mikat, K. Thiessenhusen, U. Bottger, S. Lorkowski, New Approaches for Traffic Management in Metropolitan Areas, Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on ITS, 2003.Google Scholar