Mitigating and Patching System Vulnerabilities Using Ansible: A Comparative Study of Various Configuration Management Tools for IAAS Cloud
In an organization, Configuration management is an essentially important technique for assuring that the desired configuration are intact all the time. Configuration keeps an eye on management and consistency of a software product’s versions, update etc. Currently many system administrators manage and maintain their systems using a collection of batch scripts. Ansible replaces this plodding and makes application deployment over cloud very simple. In this paper we will understand and exploit Ansible’s true potential. We will write playbooks for patching system vulnerabilities and also understand the advantages of using Ansible.
KeywordsYML Configuration management Chef Puppet Ansible
- 1.Anne Mette Jonassen Hass.: “Configuration Management Principles and Practice”, 1st edition, Addison Wesley, 2002, pp 1–25.Google Scholar
- 2.Addendum zu Kapitel.: “Software Configuration Management”, University of Zurich, Pearson Education, 2004.Google Scholar
- 3.“Automated Configuration management”, Puppet Labs, 2015.Google Scholar
- 4.“Guide to Software configuration management”, ESA Board for Software Standardizations and Control, 1st issue, March 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.Ansible documentation, 2015, Available: http://docs.ansible.com/.
- 6.Lorin Hochstein, “Ansible: Up and Running”, O’Relilly Media, 2015, pp 1–17.Google Scholar
- 7.René Moser, “Ansible Cookbook 2014”, 2014, pp 1–25.Google Scholar
- 8.“Puppet documentation”, Puppet Labs, 2013 Available at: https://downloads.puppetlabs.com/docs/puppetmanual.pdf.
- 9.“An Introduction to Puppet Enterprise”, Puppet Labs, 2013 Available at: http://downloads.puppetlabs.com/training/materials/intro/Introduction_Student_Guide-v3-1-2.pdf.
- 10.Andy Hawkins.: “Introduction to Chef”, Available at: http://www.netways.de/uploads/media/Andy_Hawkins_Introduction_intoChef_05.pdf.
- 11.Joël Perras.: “An Introduction to Configuration Management with SaltStack”, Available at: https://speakerdeck.com/jperras/an-introduction-to-configuration-management-with-saltstack.