DC Connected Hybrid Offshore-Wind and Tidal Turbine Generation System
“Hybrid Offshore-wind and Tidal Turbine” (HOTT) generation system (Rahman and Shirai, HOTT energy Conversion I [6-pulse GTO rectifier and inverter], 2008; HOTT energy conversion II [6-Pulse GTO Rectifier DC connection and Inverter], 2009) interconnecting method for a DC side cluster of wind and tidal turbine generators system are proposed. This method can be achieved using wind and tidal turbine generating system. Four tidal and a wind turbines generator can be interconnected easily with the proposed method, and high reliability and electric output power with high quality are also expected. This method is able to send generated power through a long-distance DC transmission line. The configuration of the hybrid wind and tidal turbine generator system is explained first, and a dynamic model of the hybrid system is developed. The dynamic performances of the HOTT system when the wind and tidal velocity is changing are then discussed. Finally, a control system to keep the DC voltage constant of the HOTT system is introduced.
KeywordsHybrid system Offshore wind turbine Tidal turbine
- 1.Rahman ML, Shirai Y (2008) Hybrid offshore-wind and tidal turbine (HOTT) energy conversion I (6 pulse GTO rectifier and inverter). IEEE Xplore/ICSET.2008.4747087, ISBN:978-1-4244-1887-9, 9 January 2009Google Scholar
- 2.Example tidal turbine developers. Tidal Generation Limited UK, Soil Machine Dynamic Ltd. (SMD) UK, Marine Current Turbines Ltd UK. Tidal energy. Accessed 19 October 2007Google Scholar
- 3.PSCAD/EMTDC Master library. Wind energy associated models. https://pscad.com. Accessed 25 October 2007
- 4.Rahman ML, Shirai Y (2009) Hybrid offshore-wind and tidal turbine (HOTT) energy conversion II (6-Pulse GTO Rectifier DC connection and Inverter). In: Proceeding, 16–19 March 2009, Europe’s premier wind energy event (ewec2009, Marseille). Online conference proceedings paper: http://www.ewec2009proceedings.info
- 5.Marine power ocean tidal stream energy. http://www.johnarmstrong1.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk. Accessed 17 April 2008