X-MAS: Validation tool based on meta-programming
Validation is an important issue in Agent-Based Modeling (ABM). Unfortunately, although indispensable, it is not a common practice in the community. The main reason is that there are no established validation procedures. In our previous work, we proposed the cross-element validation as a validation process that consists of detecting, analyzing and comparing the model’s macro-behavior under different variations of its composite elements. This process requires performing several simulations of the model with modifications in some of its algorithms. Therefore, it is indispensable the availability of some tools that provides: (1) easy model implementation, (2) flexibility for easy model’s elements exchange, and (3) construction of efficient code for accelerating the simulations. In order to support these requirements, this paper proposes the X-MAS toolkit, which facilitates the implementation and cross-element validation of ABM models.
Key wordsX-MAS agent-based model cross-element validation meta-programming
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abrahams D and Gurtovoy A (2004) C++ Template Metaprogramming, Addison Wesley ProfessionalGoogle Scholar
- Back, T., Hoffmeister, F. and Schwefel, H., 1991, “A survey of evolution strategies”, in Proceedings of the Forth International Conference on Genetic Algorithms, pp. 2–9.Google Scholar
- Boost Libraries (2005) Boost Library Home Page, http://www.boost.org/Google Scholar
- Holland J, Holyoak K, Nisbett R and Thagard P (1986) Induction, the MIT PressGoogle Scholar
- Leon YI, Takadama K, Nawa E, Shimohara K and Katai O (2003) The X-MAS: Toward simulation systems for cross-model-validation of multiagent-based simulation”, Meeting the Challenge of Social Problems via Agentbased Simulation, Springer-Verlag, pp 171–184Google Scholar
- Parker M (2001) What is Ascape and Why Should you care?, Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation 4(1)Google Scholar
- Sutton R and Barto A (1998) Reinforcement Learning: An Introduction, the MIT PressGoogle Scholar
- Swarm Development Group (2005) Swarm Home Page, http://www.swarm.org/Google Scholar
- Takadama K, Leon YI, Sugimoto N, Nawa E and Shimohara K (2003) Crosselement validation in multiagent-based simulation: Switching learning mechanisms in agents, Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation 6(4)Google Scholar
- University of Chicago (2005) Repast Home Page, http://repast.sourceforge.net/Google Scholar