An Implementation of the TRON Keyboard
- Sadao TachibanaAffiliated withPhysical Design Department, Engineering Division, Data Processing Group, Oki Electric Industry Co., Ltd.
- , Ken SakamuraAffiliated withDepartment of Information Science, Faculty of Science, University of Tokyo
Two important objectives of keyboard input method are to gain speed and to lessen the fatigue of operators. The TRON keyboard layout is based on the data of the physical size of hands of Japanese. Firstly, physical placement of keytops which are easy to strike and causes less fatigue was determined using the data. Secondly, character frequencies in real documents was used to decide the final location of each character in the keyboard. In addition, an electronic pen is proposed for figure input.
Oki Electric Industry Co., Ltd. has built a TRON keyboard prototype on the basis of the TRON keyboard specifications. This paper discusses the design of the keyboard that reflects the TRON specifications for its implementation as a product.
KeywordsInput Device Keyboard Finger’s Reach Electronic Pen
- An Implementation of the TRON Keyboard
- Book Title
- TRON Project 1987 Open-Architecture Computer Systems
- Book Subtitle
- Proceedings of the Third TRON Project Symposium
- Book Part
- Chapter 3
- pp 139-150
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Japan
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Tokyo
- Additional Links
- Input Device
- Finger’s Reach
- Electronic Pen
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Ken Sakamura (1)
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. TRON Project Department of Information Science Faculty of Science, University of Tokyo
- Author Affiliations
- 2. Physical Design Department, Engineering Division, Data Processing Group, Oki Electric Industry Co., Ltd., 3-1 Futaba-cho, Takasaki, 370, Japan
- 3. Department of Information Science, Faculty of Science, University of Tokyo, Hongo,Tokyo, 113, Japan
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.