The History of ERCP and EUS
Initially, endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) was developed based on the idea that diagnosis of pancreatic cancer would be possible by injecting a contrast medium retrogradely from Vater’s papilla. After imaging diagnosis of pancreatic cancer became possible in the 1970s, ERCP gradually developed into interventional ERCP.
Around the same time, development of endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS) was underway, which was aimed at diagnosis of early stage pancreatic cancer. EUS development began in 1980, more than a decade after the development of ERCP had begun. Like ERCP, EUS was used for imaging diagnosis, and early applications took the form of endoscopic ultrasound fine-needle aspiration (EUS-FNA), later developing into interventional EUS. Today, the diagnostic and therapeutic applications of EUS have overtaken ERCP.
The capabilities of medical equipment reflect the scientific and technological conditions of the times. Today, both ERCP and EUS are indispensable for diagnosis and treatment of pancreatobiliary diseases.
KeywordsDuodenoscope ERCP Endoscopic drainage EUS EUS-FNA
- 2.Oi. Techniques of endoscopicancreato-cholangiography (in Japanese). Tokyo: Igakushoin; 1973.Google Scholar
- 4.Shindo K, Ashizawa S. Fiberoptic duodenoscopy. Gastroenterol Endosc. 1970;12:70–8.Google Scholar
- 5.Fujita R, Sohma S, Kidokoro T. Endoscopy of the duodenum using the Olympus JFB2. Gastroenterol Endosc. 1970;12:97–106.Google Scholar
- 6.Ogoshi K, Tobita Y, Hara Y. Endoscopic observation of the duodenum and endoscopic pancreato-cholangiography. Gastroenterol Endosc. 1970;12:83–94.Google Scholar
- 7.Ogoshi K, Kasugai T. EPCG or ERCP( in Japanese). Stomach Intestine( I to Cho). 1975;10:538–539.Google Scholar
- 8.Kawai K, Nakajima M. Preliminary report on endoscopical papillotomy. J Kyoto Pref Univ Med. 1973;82:353.Google Scholar
- 10.Sohma S, Fujita R. Endoscopic sphinctero-papillotomy. Gastroenterol Endosc. 1974;16(4):446–53.Google Scholar
- 11.Fukuda M, Cosgrove D. Abdominal ultrasound, a basic textbook. Tokyo: Igakushoin; 1997.Google Scholar
- 14.Vilardell F. Digestive endoscopy in the second millennium, part 2 endoscopic ultrasonography. Stuttgart: Thieme; 2006. p. 165–70.Google Scholar
- 15.Kawai K, editor. Endoscopic ultrasonography in gastroenterology. Tokyo: Igakushoin; 1988.Google Scholar
- 16.Fukuda M. Endoscopic ultrasonography. In: Gill RW, Dadd MJ, editors. WFUMB’85. Sydney: Pergamon Press; 1985. p. 13–6.Google Scholar