European Retail Research pp 107-139
Retailing in India – Background, Challenges, Prospects
India has become the second-largest consumer market and seventh-largest retail market worldwide. The prerequisite for this event was the liberalisation of several sectors of the economy, whereas the main driver was a continuous increase of the gross domestic product (GDP). As a consequence, the Indian retail market has shown impressive and constant growth. Although the global financial crisis affected the Indian economy, the prospects for the Indian retail market are encouraging. With a steadily growing economy, a broad middle class is evolving as progress is made in reducing poverty. Nevertheless, the knowledge about specific features of the Indian market is still unsatisfactorily low. Hence, our article provides a description of the status quo of India's retail market, including an analysis of Indian consumers and the positioning of Indian and foreign retailers. It concludes with predictions of plausible further developments.
KeywordsIndian Retailer Indian Consumer Shopping Behaviour Rural India Supply Chain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alex, B. (2010): Unterhaltungselektronik in Indien mit hohen Zuwächsen, in: Gtai reports, April 22, 2010.Google Scholar
- Anonymous (2010): Reliance Retail to invest Rs150 cr to open 20 Hamleys stores, in: The Wall Street Journal, April 8, 2010.Google Scholar
- Anonymous (2009): Future Group may hive off Big Bazaar: Biyani, in: Financial Express, September 21, 2009, under: www.financialexpress.com/news/future-group-mayhive-off-big-bazaar-biyani/519696/#, accessed September 10, 2010.
- Anonymous (2007): The marketing whitebook 2007–2008: The marketers' essential handbook, New Delhi.Google Scholar
- Asipac (2010): Trading densities of organized retail formats, Bangalore.Google Scholar
- A.T. Kearney (2006): Retail in India: Getting organized to drive growth, Study.Google Scholar
- A.T. Kearney (2008): Emerging opportunities for global retailers: The 2008 A.T. Kearney global retail development report index, Study.Google Scholar
- A.T. Kearney (2009): Windows of hope: The 2009 A.T. Kearney global retail development report index, Study.Google Scholar
- A.T. Kearney (2010): Global retail newsletter.Google Scholar
- Bagchi, A.; Kurian, J. (2005): Regional inequalities in India: Pre- and post-reform trends and challenges for policy, in: Mooij, J. (Ed.): The politics of economic reforms in India, New Delhi, pp. 322–350.Google Scholar
- Bailay, R. (2010): Carrefour announces first wholesale outlet in India, in: The Wallstreet Journal, May 11, 2010.Google Scholar
- Bajaj, V. (2010): In India, Wal-Mart goes to the farm, in: New York Times, April 12, 2010.Google Scholar
- Balakrishnan, R. (2010): Futures gGroup aiming for Rs 200 cr from big bazaar alone, in: The Economic Times, August 25, 2010.Google Scholar
- Bapna, A. (2010): The emerging face of Indian retail, in: Storai Magazine, March/April, pp. 28–34.Google Scholar
- Batra, A. (2010): Watch out for watch retail, in: IndianRetailer.com, August 18, 2010.Google Scholar
- Bijapurkar, R.; Shukla, R. (2008): Spotlight on rural consumers, in: liveMint.com, December 3, 2008, www.livemint.com/2008/12/03224721/Spotlight-on-rural-consumers.html, accessed August 10, 2010.
- Capgemini; Merrill Lynch (2010): World wealth report 2010.Google Scholar
- Chandran, R. (2010): Build it and they will do it? Retailers' India dilemma, in: The Wallstreet Journal, May 21, 2010.Google Scholar
- CIA Factbook India (2010): The World Factbook India, www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/in.html, accessed August 10, 2010.
- Dobhal, S. (2008): Top 20 cities hold keys to urban growth, in: The Economic Times, August 8, 2008.Google Scholar
- Dholakia, N.; Sinha, P.K. (2005): Observations on Observation in India's Dynamic Urban Markets, in: Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung, Vol. 6, No. 1, Art. 13,Google Scholar
- Ghosh, J. (2010): Die verdeckte Finanzkrise, in: Le Monde diplomatique, Special Issue on Indien. Die barfüßige Großmacht, pp. 40–45.Google Scholar
- Giridharadas, A.; Rai, S. (2006): Wal-Mart to open hundreds of stores in India, in: New York Times, November 27, 2006.Google Scholar
- Gtai (2010): Wirtschaftsdaten kompakt: Indien, Köln.Google Scholar
- Gtai (2009): Boom im indischen Einzelhandel vorläufig gestoppt, February 27, 2009, www.gtai.de/DE/Content/__SharedDocs/Links-Einzeldokumente-Datenbanken/fachdokument.html?fIdent=MKT200902268001, accessed August 5, 2010.
- IBEF (2010a): Retail, www.ibef.org/industry/retail.aspx, accessed July 26, 2010.
- IBEF (2010b): Retail. Market & Opportunities, Study.Google Scholar
- Jenkins, R. (1999): Democratic politics and economic reforms in India, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Jones Lang LaSalle Meghraj (2010): State of the retail sector, in: Storai, March/April, pp. 108–112.Google Scholar
- Joseph, M.; Soundararajan, N.; Gupta, M.; Sahu, S. (2008): Impact of organized retailing on the unorganized sector, Working Paper No. 222, September 2008, Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations.Google Scholar
- Karmali, N. (2009): India's 100 richest, Special Report, in: Forbes, November 18, 2009.Google Scholar
- Kazim, H. (2006): Großes Land mit kleinen Lädchen, in: Spiegel Online, May 26, 2006, www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/0,1518,414663,00.html., accessed August 31, 2010.
- Knight Frank (2010): Q1 2010 India organised retail market, in: Storai, May/June, pp. 66–82.Google Scholar
- KPMG (2009): Indian retail: Time to change lanes, Study.Google Scholar
- Kumar, S.; Managi, S. (2009): The economics of sustainable development: The case of India, Springer, Berlin et al.Google Scholar
- Malhotra, N. (2010a): Online retailing, in: IndianRetailer.com, April 6, 2010, www.retail.franchiseindia.com/articles/Retail-Trends/Retail-Industry/Online-retailing-9/, accessed August 31, 2010.
- Malhotra, N. (2010b): Private labels on an upswing, in: IndianRetailer.com, January 21, 2010, www.retail.franchiseindia.com/articles/Retail-Business-Practice/New-Trends/Privatelabels-on-an-upswing-160/, accessed August 31, 2010.
- McKinsey Global Institute (2007): The “bird of gold”: The rise of India's consumer market, San Francisco.Google Scholar
- McKinsey & Company (2007): India pharma 2015: Unlocking the potential of the Indian pharmaceutical market, Study.Google Scholar
- Menon, B.D. (2010): Consumer affairs ministry says yes to 49 % FDI in multi-brand Retail, in: Business Line, August 25, 2010.Google Scholar
- Ossola-Haring, C.; Raveendran, P.T. (2008): Indien auf einen Blick – mit vielen Facetten, in: Ossola-Haring, C. (Ed.): Wachstumsmarkt Indien - Das Investitionshandbuch für Unternehmen und deren Berater, München.Google Scholar
- Paul, A. (2010): Carrefour spurned as it wanted majority, in: The Wallstreet Journal, January 22, 2010.Google Scholar
- PriceWaterhouseCoopers (2009): Glimmers amid the gloom. The outlook for the retail and consumer products sector in emerging markets, Study.Google Scholar
- PriceWaterhouseCoopers (2004): 2004/2005 Global retail & consumer study from Beijing to Budapest, Study.Google Scholar
- Robinson, S. (2007): Food fight, in: TIME, May 31, 2007.Google Scholar
- Salisbury, T. (2010): The Future, on sale: The Indian retail market, in: South Asia Monitor, No. 137, January 6, 2010.Google Scholar
- Saraf, A. (2010): Richie rich. Luxury retail is gradually finding its feet in India, in: Business India, September 6, 2010, p. 115.Google Scholar
- Sharma, A. (2010): Research finds change in rural consumer patterns, in: The Economic Times, August 1, 2010.Google Scholar
- Shukla, R. (2010): India, sunny side up, in: The Financial Express, July 27, 2010.Google Scholar
- Singh, P.; Sharma, A.; Nayar, L. (2010): Therapy for retail, in: Outlook India, April 19, 2010.Google Scholar
- Sinha, P.K. (2003): Shopping orientation in the evolving Indian market, in: Vikalpa, Vol. 28, pp. 13–22.Google Scholar
- Srivastava, R.K. (2008): Changing retail scene in India, in: International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, Vol. 36, No. 9, pp. 714–721.Google Scholar
- Tata (2010): Food retailing in India: Challenges and trends.Google Scholar
- Thomas, D.; Azhar, S. (2010): Retailers to submit bids for Carrefour Asia, in: The Wallstreet Journal, September 1, 2010.Google Scholar
- Wharton (2009): More Choices in Store: India's Retailers Are Stocking Up on Private Label Brands, December 3, 2009, under: www.knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/india/article.cfm?articleid=4432, accessed August 31, 2010.