Biomarkers of Acute Aortic Syndrome
Acute aortic syndrome (acute aortic dissection, AAD; intramural hematoma, IMH; and penetrating atherosclerotic ulcer, PAU) is a disease entity which possesses high mortality rate during the acute phase even in the current era. AAD, especially, has a broad variety of symptoms at onset, and frequently its diagnosis is delayed resulting in worse prognosis. Development and improvement of biomarkers have been pursued to enable the early diagnosis of AAD at “point of care” for immediate decision for further imaging or discrimination from other diseases such as coronary artery disease or pulmonary embolism.
KeywordsAcute aortic syndrome Biomarker Dissection Genetics Proteins Inflammation
- 4.Suzuki T, Distante A, Zizza A, Trimarchi S, Villani M, Salerno Uriarte JA, de Luca Tupputi Schinosa L, et al. International registry of acute aortic dissection substudy on biomarkers I. Preliminary experience with the smooth muscle troponin-like protein, calponin, as a novel biomarker for diagnosing acute aortic dissection. Eur Heart J. 2008;29:1439–45.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Suzuki T, Distante A, Zizza A, Trimarchi S, Villani M, Salerno Uriarte JA, Luca Tupputi D, Schinosa L, et al. Diagnosis of acute aortic dissection by D-dimer: the international registry of Acute Aortic Dissection Substudy on Biomarkers (IRAD-Bio) experience. Circulation. 2009;119:2702–7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Gorla R, Erbel R, Kahlert P, Tsagakis K, Jakob H, Mahabadi AA, Schlosser T, Eggebrecht H, Bossone E, Janosi RA. Diagnostic role and prognostic implications of D-dimer in different classes of acute aortic syndromes. Eur Heart J Acute Cardiovasc Care. 2017;6(5):379–88. https://doi.org/10.1177/2048872615594500.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Erbel R, Aboyans V, Boileau C, Bossone E, Bartolomeo RD, Eggebrecht H, Evangelista A, et al. Guidelines ESCCfP. 2014 ESC Guidelines on the diagnosis and treatment of aortic diseases: document covering acute and chronic aortic diseases of the thoracic and abdominal aorta of the adult. The task force for the diagnosis and treatment of aortic diseases of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Heart J. 2014;35:2873–926.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Ju X, Ijaz T, Sun H, Ray S, Lejeune W, Lee C, Recinos A 3rd, et al. Interleukin-6-signal transducer and activator of transcription-3 signaling mediates aortic dissections induced by angiotensin II via the T-helper lymphocyte 17-interleukin 17 axis in C57BL/6 mice. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2013;33:1612–21.CrossRefGoogle Scholar