The effects of online social media on tourism websites
Web 2.0 and online social networking websites heavily affect today most of the online activities and their effect on tourism is obviously rather important. This paper aims at verifying the impact that online social networks (OSN) have on the popularity of tourism websites. Two OSNs have been considered: Facebook and Twitter. The pattern of visits to a sample of Italian tourism websites was analysed and the relationship between the total visits and those having the OSNs as referrals were measured. The analysis shows a clear correlation and confirms the starting hypothesis. Consequences and implications of these outcomes are discussed.
KeywordsWeb 2.0 Travel 2.0 online social networks tourism websites Facebook Twitter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Antonioli Corigliano, M. & Baggio, R. (2004). Italian Tourism on the Internet — New Business Models. In K. Weiermair & C. Mathies (Eds.), The Tourism and Leisure Industry — Shaping the Future (pp. 301–316). New York: The Haworth Press.Google Scholar
- Au, A. (2010). Adoption of Web 2.0 by Tourism Businesses in NSW (Research Reports). Sydney: Tourism New South Wales. Retrieved June, 2010, from http://corporate. tourism.nsw.gov.au/Sites/SiteID6/objLib40/Adoption-of-Web%202Jan10.pdf.
- Baggio, R. (2005). The relationship between virtual and real image of tourism operators, e-Review of Tourism Research (eRTR), 3(5). Retrieved January, 2006, from http://ertr.tamu.edu/attachments/225_a-3-5-3.pdf.
- Burgess, S., Sellitto, C. & Karanasios, S. (Eds.). (2009). Effective Web Presence Solutions for Small Businesses: Strategies for Successful Implementation. Hershey, PA: IGI: Information Science Reference.Google Scholar
- Chatfield, C. (1996). The Analysis of Time Series (5th ed.). New York: Chapman & Hall.Google Scholar
- Cosenza, V. (2010). World Map of Social Networks. Retrieved September, 2010, from http://www.vincos.it/world-map-of-social-networks/.
- Fabris, M. (2010). ToscanaLab. Retrieved June, 2010, from http://www.slideshare.net/BTOEducational/gpf-monica-fabris-toscanalab-29-giugno-2010.
- Hamill, J., Attard, D. & Stevenson, A. (2009). National destination marketing organisations and Web 2.0. Mercati e Competitività 1: 71–94.Google Scholar
- Jones, C. & Yu, R. (2010). Travel industry uses Facebook and Twitter to reach customers. USA Today (7 July 2010). Retrieved July, 2010, from http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2010-09-07-travelsocialmedia07_CV_N.htm.
- Locke, C, Levine, C, Searls, D. & Weinberger, D. (2000). The Cluetrain Manifesto: The End of Business as Usual. Cambridge, MA: Perseus Publishings.Google Scholar
- Milano, R. (2010). Cosa fare e cosa non fare nella Rete turistica. Il caso ltalia.it. In G. Granieri & G. Perri (Eds.), Linguaggi digitali per il turismo (pp. 47–48). Milano: Apogeo.Google Scholar
- Murray, R. (2009). A Good Example of a Bad Facebook Strategy. Retrieved March, 2010, from http://www.ploked.com/2009/05/29/a-good-example-of-a-bad-facebook-strategy/.
- Parra-Lopez, E., Bulchand-Gidumal, J., Gutierrez-Tano, D. & Diaz-Armas, R. (2010). Intentions to use social media in organizing and taking vacation trips. Computers in Human Behavior, (In Press: DOI: 10.1016/j.chb.2010.05.022).Google Scholar
- PhoCusWright. (2009). The PhoCusWright Consumer Technology Survey (2nd ed.). Sherman, CT: PhoCusWright.Google Scholar
- Polanco, X. (2003). Concepts, Measures and Indicators in the Web Analysis. Paper presented at the Tercer Taller de Obtención de Indicadores de Producción Científica, Madrid, March 3–5. Retrieved June, 2010 from http://www.ricyt.org/interior/normalizacion/III_bib/Polanco.pdf.
- Richardson, W. (2006). Blogs, Wikis and Podcasts and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.Google Scholar
- Sayrs, L. W. (1989). Pooled time series analysis. Newbury Park, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Sigaia, M. (2010). eCRM 2.0 applications and trends: The use and perceptions of Greek tourism firms of social networks and intelligence. Computers in Human Behavior, (In Press, DOI: 10.1016/j.chb.2010.03.007).Google Scholar
- WAA. (2008). Web Analytics Definitions. Wakefield, MA: Web Analytics Association. Retrieved June, 2010, from http://www.webanalyticsassociation.org/resource/resmgr/ PDF_standards/WebAnalyticsDefinitions.pdf.Google Scholar
- Weinberger, D. (2007). Everything Is Miscellaneous: The Power of the New Digital Disorder. New York, NY: Times Books.Google Scholar