Ribosome dynamics: Progress in the characterization of mRNA-tRNA translocation by cryo-electron microscopy
The ribosome is a highly complex molecular machine performing protein synthesis in all forms of life with an amazing degree of accuracy. Knowledge of its atomic structure, the result of pioneering work now honored by the award of the Nobel Prize, has prepared us for the next stage of inquiry, with the focus on the dynamics of the system. Key to understanding the mechanism of protein synthesis is provided by experimental data informing us about the ribosome’s conformational changes and dynamic interactions with its functional ligands, mRNA, tRNA, EF-G and EF-Tu during the elongation cycle.
KeywordsElongation Cycle Ribosome Complex Brownian Ratchet Electron Cryomicroscopy Flexible Fitting
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blanchard SC, Kim HD, Gonzalez Jr RL, Puglisi JD, Chu S (2004) tRNA dynamics on the ribosome during translation. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 101: 12 893–12 898Google Scholar
- Fu J, Kennedy D, Munro JB, Lei J, Blanchard SC, Frank J (2009) The P-site tRNA reaches the P/E position through intermediate positions. (Abstract) J. Biomol. Struct. Dyn. 26: 794–795Google Scholar
- Fu J, Munro JB, Blanchard SC, Frank J (2011) Cryo-EM structures of the ribosome complex in intermediate states during tRNA translocation. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA (in press)Google Scholar
- Harms J, Tocilj A, Levin I, Agmon I, Holger Stark3, Ingo Kölln1, van Heel M, Cuff M, Schlünzen F, Bashan A, Franceschi F, Yonath A (2000) Elucidating the medium-resolution structure of ribosomal particles: an interplay between electron cryo-microscopy and X-ray crystallography. Structure 7: 931–941CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Liao H, Frank J (2010) Classification by bootstrapping in single particle methods. Proc IEEE Int Symp on Biomedical Imaging: from nano to macro. IEEE Int Symp Biomedica (in press)Google Scholar
- Malhotra A, Penczek P, Agrawal RK, Gabashvili IS, Grassucci RA, Junemann R, Burkhardt N, Nierhaus KH, Frank J (1998) Escherichia coli 70 S ribosome at 15Å resolution by cryo-electron microscopy: localization of fMet-tRNAfMet and fitting of L1 protein. J. Mol. Biol. 280: 103–116PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar