Rotator cuff tears (RCT), either massive (M) or irreparable (I), can pose significant challenges to orthopedic surgeons, as they are frequently linked to high failure rates. There are several surgical options to deal with such cases including reverse shoulder arthroplasty, superior capsular reconstruction, tendon transfer, arthroscopic debridement with biceps tenotomy and subacromial decompression, partial cuff repairs, grafts, patches, as well as tuberoplasty. Each option has advantages and disadvantages, and the ultimate treatment must be customized according to the type of injury as well as the specific patient needs. Recently the use of subacromial spacers provided encouraging results, emerging as a valuable option for the treatment of both MRCT and IRCT.
KeywordsSubacromial Spacer Balloon Massive Irreparable Cuff tears
- 2.Senekovic V, Poberaj B, Kovacic L, Mikek M, Adar E, Markovitz E, Maman E, Dekel A. The biodegradable spacer as a novel modality for massive rotator cuff tears: a prospective study with 5-year follow up. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00402-016-2603-9.
- 4.Senekovic V, Poberaj B, Kovacic L, Mikek M, Adar E, Dekel A. Prospective clinical study of a novel biodegradable sub-acromial spacer in treatment of massive irreparable rotator cuff tears. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00590-012-0981-4.
- 7.Savarese E, Romeo R. New solution for massive, irreparable rotator cuff tears: the subacromial “biodegradable spacer”. Arthrosc Tech. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eats.2012.02.002.
- 10.Gervasi E. IS-CL-05: InSpace in local anesthesia. Preliminary study results 1 Sep 2015.Google Scholar
- 18.Gasparini C. Rotture massive della cufa dei rotatori: quale spazio per lo spaziatore subacromiale? L Orthopedico Traumatologo.Google Scholar
- 19.Calvo A. The subacromial spacer. Symposium revision rotator cuff repair. Shanghai: ISAKOS Biannual Congress; 2017.Google Scholar