A Clinical Practice Guideline
- 761 Downloads
After extensive inquiry and backlash against the historic recommendation-based clinical practice guidelines, the Institute of Medicine, and others, called for a revision of the recommendation-based clinical practice guidelines. The new guidelines were to be evidence-based. A rigorous rubric was created to standardize the development process of future clinical practice guidelines. These evidence-based clinical practice guidelines are designed to stand certain scrutiny their recommendation-based predecessors could not, improve the quality of health care, decrease inefficiencies, and reduce practice variation. Through the extensive and deliberate analysis of high-quality medical literature, clinical practice guidelines provide evidence-supported health-care plans for physicians and patients alike. As clinical practice guidelines serve as a summary of scientific evidence available, those areas which lack adequate clinical research may become research priority.
KeywordsClinical practice guidelines CPGs Evidence-based Systematic review
- 1.Graham R, Mancher M, Miller Wolman D, Greenfield S, Steinberg E, eds. Clinical Practice Guidelines We Can Trust. Washington, DC; 2011. https://doi.org/10.17226/13058.
- 3.Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century. Washington, DC; 2001. https://doi.org/10.17226/10027.
- 5.Foundation TRWJ. Chronic care in America: the 21st century challenge. 1996. http://www.rwjf.org/library/chrcare/. Accessed 19 Sept 2000.
- 9.Gerteis J. Multiple chronic conditions Chartbook: 2010 medical expenditure panel survey data. 2014. www.ahrq.gov/sites/default/files/wysiwyg/professionals/prevention-chronic-care/desicion/mcc/mccchartbook.pdf.
- 10.Hempstead K. The real killer is still out there: update on health care spending. 2017. http://www.rwjf.org/en/library/research/2017/08/the-real-killer-is-still-out-there-update-on-health-care-spending.html.
- 11.Roehrig C. The health SPending slowdown for 2008–2013: implications for sustainability. 2017. http://altarum.org/sites/default/files/uploaded-related-files/11_Roehrig%20Symposium%20July%2018%202017%20FINAL.pdf.
- 12.Centers for Disease Control. Arthritis—National Statistics. 2017. Located at: CDC.Google Scholar
- 13.Association PIaAH. Quality and patient safety. 2006. http://aha.org/advocacy-issues/quality/background/shtml.
- 14.AAOS. Clinical Practice Guidelines. Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2017.Google Scholar
- 18.Gagnon A. Corporate influence over clinical research: considering the alternatives. Prescrire Int. 2012;21:191–4.Google Scholar
- 20.Shea KGMC, Quinn R, Beckmann JT. Evidence based quality and outcomes assessment in Pediatric Orthopedics. Rosemont, IL: AAOS; 2016.Google Scholar
- 23.American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. AAOS Introductory Packet for Clinical Practice Guidelines (CPG)/Systematic Review (SR) Work Group Members. 2015:31.Google Scholar
- 24.AAOS. Guideline peer review and public responses. https://www.aaos.org/guidelinepeerreview/?ssopc=1. Accessed 20 Nov 2017.
- 27.American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Management of anterior cruciate ligament injuries. Located at: Clinical Practice Guidelines. 2015.Google Scholar
- 28.Kevin G Shea CTP. Turning a CPG into a care map. 2016. https://www.aaos.org/AAOSNow/2016/Oct/Research/research03/. Accessed 14 Nov 2017.
- 29.AAOS. DDH Care Map-Diagnoses and Referral Pathway. 2016. http://hipdysplasia.org/diagnosis-and-referral-pathway/.