Continuous monitoring of metabolic parameters
Patient monitoring is the systematic, scheduled and repeated collection and presentation of the body’s physiological and biochemical parameters. As with any other diagnostic measure, monitoring is only clinically feasible when a time-critical interpretation of the findings results in a therapeutic decision or further diagnostic measures. Monitoring not only helps to warn against potential harms, but also in how to titrate medications. A myriad of biochemical monitoring procedures are currently applied in clinical practice. Continuous glucose monitoring is one method that is used in clinical, but especially in outpatient settings as well, and will be described in greater detail for illustration purposes in this chapter.
- 1.American Society of Anesthesiologists (2015) Standard for Basic Anesthetic Monitoring (http://asahq.org/~/media/Sites/ASAHQ/Files/Public/Resources/standards-guidelines/standards-for-basic-anesthetic-monitoring.pdf [last accessed: 21 April 2016])
- 2.Dellinger RP, Levy MM, Rhodes A, Annane D, Gerlach H, Opal SM, Sevransky JE, Sprung CL, Douglas IS, Jaeschke R, Osborn TM, Nunnally ME, Townsend SR, Reinhart K, Kleinpell RM, Angus DC, Deutschman CS, Machado FR, Rubenfeld GD, Webb S, Beale RJ, Vincent JL, Moreno R; Surviving Sepsis Campaign Guidelines Committee including The Pediatric Subgroup (2013) Surviving Sepsis Campaign: international guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock, 2012. Intensive Care Med 39 (2): 165–228Google Scholar
- 3.DGBMT- Fachausschuss Methodik der Patientenüberwachung (2009) Definition: Patient monitoring (http://www.vde.com/de/fg/dgbmt/ ueber %20uns/vorstand/documents/definition % 20patientenüberwachung.pdf [last accessed: 21 April 2016])
- 4.DIN EN 60601– 1–10:2008 – Medical electrical equipment – Part 1–10: General requirements for basic safety and essential performance – Collateral Standard: Requirements for the development of physiologic closed-loop controllersGoogle Scholar
- 7.Henrichs HR (2010) continuous Glukosemessung (CGM) in der Gewebeflüssigkeit – Wissenschaftliche Bewertung of CGM and medizinische Beurteilung of the Nutzens for the Diabetestherapie (AGDT-DDG-GKV CGM White Paper). On the Internet: www.diabetes-technologie.de/vortraege/ vortraege-2010.htm
- 9.Statement issued by the Diabetes & Technology (AGDT) Working Group of the German Diabetes Society on substituting blood glucose monitoring with measurement systems for continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) or flash glucose monitoring (FGM) (“replacement claim”): 2016; on the Internet: www.AGDT_Stellungnahme_Replacement_ 20160130-L.docGoogle Scholar