Enhancing Search-Based QBF Solving by Dynamic Blocked Clause Elimination
Among preprocessing techniques for quantified Boolean formula (QBF) solving, quantified blocked clause elimination (QBCE) has been found to be extremely effective. We investigate the power of dynamically applying QBCE in search-based QBF solving with clause and cube learning (QCDCL). This dynamic application of QBCE is in sharp contrast to its typical use as a mere preprocessing technique. In our dynamic approach, QBCE is applied eagerly to the formula interpreted under the assignments that have been enumerated in QCDCL. The tight integration of QBCE in QCDCL results in a variant of cube learning which is exponentially stronger than the traditional method. We implemented our approach in the QBF solver DepQBF and ran experiments on instances from the QBF Gallery 2014. On application benchmarks, QCDCL with dynamic QBCE substantially outperforms traditional QCDCL. Moreover, our approach is compatible with incremental solving and can be combined with preprocessing techniques other than QBCE.
- 1.Ansótegui, C., Gomes, C.P., Selman, B.: The achilles’ heel of QBF. In: AAAI/IAAI, pp. 275–281. AAAI Press/The MIT Press (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Goultiaeva, A., Seidl, M., Biere, A.: Bridging the gap between dual propagation and CNF-based QBF solving. In: Järvisalo, M., Van Gelder, A. (ed.) DATE, pp. 811–814. ACM (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Heule, M., Järvisalo, M., Lonsing, F., Seidl, M., Biere, A.: Clause elimination for SAT and QSAT. JAIR 53, 127–168 (2015)Google Scholar
- 17.Pulina, L., Tacchella, A.: A structural approach to reasoning with quantified boolean formulas. In: IJCAI, pp. 596–602 (2009)Google Scholar
- 27.Zhang, L.: Solving QBF by combining conjunctive and disjunctive normal forms. In: Dustdar, S., Schall, D., Skopik, F., Juszczyk, L., Psaier, H. (eds.) AAAI/IAAI, pp. 143–150. AAAI Press (2006)Google Scholar
- 28.Zhang, L., Malik, S.: Conflict driven learning in a quantified boolean satisfiability solver. In: ICCAD, pp. 442–449. ACM/IEEE Computer Society (2002)Google Scholar