Selling Two Goods Optimally
We provide sufficient conditions for revenue maximization in a two-good monopoly where the buyer’s valuations for the items come from independent (but not necessarily identical) distributions over bounded intervals. Under certain distributional assumptions, we give exact, closed-form formulas for the prices and allocation rules of the optimal selling mechanism. As a side result we give the first example of an optimal mechanism in an i.i.d. setting over a support of the form [0, b] which is not deterministic. Since our framework is based on duality techniques, we were also able to demonstrate how slightly relaxed versions of it can still be used to design mechanisms that have very good approximation ratios with respect to the optimal revenue, through a “convexification” process.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Babaioff, M., Immorlica, N., Lucier, B., Weinberg, S.M.: A simple and approximately optimal mechanism for an additive buyer. In FOCS 2014 (2014)Google Scholar
- 2.Daskalakis, C., Deckelbaum, A., Tzamos, C.: The complexity of optimal mechanism design. In: SODA 2013, pp. 1302–1318 (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Daskalakis, C., Deckelbaum, A., Tzamos, C.: Mechanism design via optimal transport. In: EC 2013, pp. 269–286 (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Giannakopoulos, Y.: Bounding the optimal revenue of selling multiple goods. CoRR, abs/1404.2832 (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Giannakopoulos, Y., Koutsoupias, E.: Duality and optimality of auctions for uniform distributions. In: EC 2014, pp. 259–276 (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Hart, S., Nisan, N.: Approximate revenue maximization with multiple items. In: EC 2012 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Hart, S., Nisan, N.: The menu-size complexity of auctions. In: EC 2013, pp. 565–566 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Hart, S., Reny, P.J.: Maximal revenue with multiple goods: nonmonotonicity and other observations. Technical report, The Center for the Study of Rationality, Hebrew University, Jerusalem (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Lovász, L., Plummer, M.D.: Matching theory, North-Holland (1986)Google Scholar
- 15.Pavlov, G.: Optimal mechanism for selling two goods. The BE Journal of Theoretical Economics 11(1) (2011)Google Scholar
- 17.Wang, Z., Tang, P.: Optimal mechanisms with simple menus. In: EC 2014 (2014)Google Scholar