A Design Tool for Generic Multipurpose Chair Design
Product classes share the same basic abstract layout, despite their great diversity. The present paper intends to (de)code the variety of types embedded in the class of multipurpose chairs. The contribution of this research is the development of a generative design tool, to be used at the conceptual chair design stage. A framework of five stages is proposed: (1) sample definition, considering chairs with a large diversity of types; (2) analysis of the syntax and semantics of the class through ontological classification; (3) development of a generic shape grammar, innovatively applied to product design; (4) implementation of a digital tool, that provides an interface to manipulate the chair components visualized in a 3D digital model; and (5) user evaluation of the program, in order to draw conclusions on the usability and usefulness of the tool and to collect inputs for further developments.
KeywordsMultipurpose chairs Ontology Generic shape grammars Generative design tool User experience
The authors would like to thank the students that participated in the evaluation of the tool, and to Mário Barros and António Leitão for their contributions to the tool development. This paper is part of a PhD research supported by the FCT (Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia) grant SFRH/BD/77927/2011, and by CIAUD (Centro de Investigação em Arquitectura Urbanismo e Design).
- 2.Barros, M., Duarte, J., Chaparro, B.: Thonet chair design grammar: a step towards the mass customization of furniture. In: Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Computer Aided Architectural Design Futures, CAAD Futures 2011, Des Together, pp. 181–200 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Pugliese, M., Cagan, J.: Capturing a rebel: modeling the Harley-Davidson brand through a motorcycle shape grammar. Res. Eng. Des. 13, 139–156 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Vitra Design Museum: 100 Masterpieces from the vitra design museum collection. Vitra Design Museum (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Design Museum: Fifty Chairs That Changed the World. Design Museum, London (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Sibthorp, F., Quin, S.: Chairs: 20th-Century Classics. New Holland, London (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Fiell, C., Fiell, P.: 1000 Chairs, 25th edn. Taschen, Köln (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Parra, P.: Cadeiras de Design Nacional: 250 Anos a Sentar Portugal. Turismo do Alentejo - ERT, Évora (2013)Google Scholar
- 14.Stiny, G., Gips, J.: Shape grammars and the generative specification of painting and sculpture. In: Proceedings of IFIP Congress 1971 (1972)Google Scholar
- 23.Lopes, J., Leitão, A.: Portable generative design for CAD applications. In: ACADIA 11: Integration Through Computation, Calgary, Canada, pp. 196–203 (2011)Google Scholar