A New Condition Monitoring Approach for Maintenance Management in Concentrate Solar Plants
The concentrated solar energy is one of the most important renewable energy source. It is crucial to ensure that the solar receivers work properly to avoid failures, and to increase the reliability, availability, safety and maintainability. Non-destructive testing (NDT) is used in structural health monitoring systems for fault detection and diagnosis (FDD). The main purpose of this paper is to present a novel approach for FDD based on long range ultrasonic technology, together with a signal processing of ultrasonic waves (Shear waves) employing wavelet transforms using a variable window size. A new electromagnetic acoustic transducer (EMAT) generates high frequency waves that flow through the material. A similar transducer is also employed as a sensor to collect the guided wave. These waves have a particular behaviour according to the condition of the material. It is analyse the influence of the temperature in the propagation of an ultrasonic pulse through the material. This information is very useful to carry out a proper signal analysis in order to find cracks or failures on the pipes, the correct operation of the system, etc.
KeywordsMaintenance management Concentrated solar plants Wavelet transform Electromagnetic acoustic receiver Parabolic through receiver High temperature ultrasonic signals
This work has been supported by the EU project INTERSOLAR (Ref.: FP7-SME-2013-605028), the MINECO project WindSeaEnergy (Ref.: IPT-2012-0563-120000) and Sonemat for manufacturing the transducers.
- 1.Beuker T, Lindner H, Brockhaus S (2010) Review of advanced in-line inspection solutions for gas pipelines. Available online. http://ppsa-online.com/papers/10-Aberdeen/2010-07-Rosen-slides.pdf
- 8.Gómez CQ, Hermosa RR de la (2014) A novel approach to fault detection and diagnosis on wind turbines. Global NEST J 16:1029–1037Google Scholar
- 9.Jain B, Jain S, Nema RK (2013) Investigations on power quality disturbances using discrete wavelet transform. Int J Electr Electron Comput Eng 2:47–53Google Scholar
- 10.Kutscher C, Mehos M et al (2010) Line-focus solar power plant cost reduction plan. Contract 303:275–300Google Scholar
- 11.Ljung L (2010) Theory for the user of system identification. PTR Prentice Hall, NJGoogle Scholar
- 12.Patil S, Kasturiwala S et al (2011) Wavelet tool: application for human face recognition. Int J Eng Sci Technol 3:2392–2398Google Scholar
- 14.Sargent L, Laboratory NRE (2003) Assessment of parabolic trough and power tower solar technology cost and performance forecasts. In: Executive Summary, National Renewable Energy LaboratoryGoogle Scholar