A New Two-Phase Approach for Petri Net Based Modeling of Scheduling Problems
This paper presents a new two-phase approach for Petri Net based modeling of scheduling problems. Though Petri Nets have been used as heuristic approach for modeling scheduling problems, literature study reveals two major difficulties: 1) the large size of Petri Net models, and 2) the inability to differentiate workstations. In this paper, these two difficulties are avoided by a two-phase approach known as Activity-Oriented Petri Nets (AOPN). General Purpose Petri Net Simulator (GPenSIM) is a new Petri Net simulator that implements AOPN on MATLAB platform. This paper introduces AOPN and GPenSIM in a tutorial style, working through an example on job scheduling in grid computing. This example shows the usability of the AOPN approach for the modeling of scheduling problems and the easiness of GPenSIM for coding and simulation.
KeywordsScheduling problems Activity-Oriented Petri Net (AOPN) GPenSIM Petri Nets grid computing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Scholl, A.: Balancing and sequencing of assembly lines. Physica-Verlag, Heidelberg (1995)Google Scholar
- 2.Grzechca, W.: Idle Times Analysis in Two-Sided Assembly Line Balancing Problem. Manufacturing Modelling, Management, and Control 7(Part 1), 1720–1725 (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Kim, C., Lee, T.E.: Modeling and simulation of Petri nets for complex scheduling rules of automated manufacturing systems. Manufacturing Systems 3(3-4), 275–307 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Davidrajuh, R.: Activity-Oriented Petri Net for Scheduling of Resources. In: Proc. IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (IEEE SMC 2012), Seoul, Korea, October 14-17 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Wu, N., Zhou, M.: System Modeling and Control with Resource-Oriented Petri Nets. CRC Press, NY (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Davidrajuh, R.: Modeling Resource Management Problems with Activity-Oriented Petri Nets. In: 2012 Sixth UKSim/AMSS European Symposium on. Computer Modeling and Simulation (EMS). IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Davidrajuh, R.: Developing a New Petri Net Tool for Simulation of Discrete Event Systems. In: Proc. Second Asia International Conference on Modeling & Simulation (AMS), pp. 861–866. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.GPenSIM code for Job Scheduling in Grid Computing, http://www.davidrajuh.net/gpensim/2015-ICIMSA-JobScheduling