Saturation-Based Incremental LTL Model Checking with Inductive Proofs
Efficient symbolic and explicit model checking approaches have been developed for the verification of linear time temporal properties. Nowadays, advances resulted in the combination of on-the-fly search with symbolic encoding in a hybrid solution providing many results by now. In this work, we propose a new hybrid approach that leverages the so-called saturation algorithm both as an iteration strategy during the state space generation and in a new incremental fixed-point computation algorithm to compute strongly connected components (SCCs). In addition, our solution works on-the-fly during state space traversal and exploits the decomposition of the model as an abstraction to inductively prove the absence of SCCs with cheap explicit runs on the components. When a proof cannot be shown, the incremental symbolic fixed-point algorithm will find the SCC, if one exists. Evaluation on the models of the Model Checking Contest shows that our approach outperforms similar algorithms for concurrent systems.
KeywordsState Space Model Check Linear Temporal Logic Concurrent System Inductive Proof
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Biere, A., Zhu, Y., Clarke, E.: Multiple state and single state tableaux for combining local and global model checking. In: Olderog, E.-R., Steffen, B. (eds.) Correct System Design. LNCS, vol. 1710, pp. 163–179. Springer, Heidelberg (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Cavada, R., Cimatti, A., Dorigatti, M., Mariotti, A., Micheli, A., Mover, S., Griggio, A., Roveri, M., Tonetta, S.: The nuXmv symbolic model checker. Tech. rep., Fondazione Bruno Kessler (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Claessen, K., Sorensson, N.: A liveness checking algorithm that counts. In: Formal Methods in Computer-Aided Design, 2012, pp. 52–59. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Duret-Lutz, A., Poitrenaud, D.: SPOT: An extensible model checking library using transition-based generalized Büchi automata. In: Proc. of the IEEE Int. Symp. on Modeling, Analysis, and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunications Systems, pp. 76–83 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Duret-Lutz, A., Klai, K., Poitrenaud, D., Thierry-Mieg, Y.: Combining explicit and symbolic approaches for better on-the-fly LTL model checking. arXiv:1106.5700 (cs) (2011)Google Scholar