Designing a Digital Experience for Young Children with Developmental Disabilities
This paper reports on the development of a playful digital experience, Anim-action, designed for young children with developmental disabilities. This experience was built using the Stomp platform, a technology designed specifically to meet the needs of people with intellectual disability through facilitating whole body interaction. We provide detail on how knowledge gained from key stakeholders informed the design of the application and describe the design guidelines used in the development process. A study involving 13 young children with developmental disabilities was conducted to evaluate the extent to which Anim-action facilitates cognitive, social and physical activity. Results demonstrated that Anim-action effectively supports cognitive and physical activity. In particular, it promoted autonomy and encouraged problem solving and motor planning. Conversely, there were limitations in the system’s ability to support social interaction, in particular, cooperation. Results have been analyzed to determine how design guidelines might be refined to address these limitations.
KeywordsYoung children developmental disability interactive experience design guidelines evaluation play and games
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Battocchi, A., Ben-Sasson, A., Esposito, G., Gal, E., Pianesi, F., Tomasini, D., Venuti, P., Weiss, P., Zancanaro, M.: Collaborative puzzle game: A tabletop interface for fostering collaborative skills in children with autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Assistive Technologies 4(1), 4–13 (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Edwards, S.F. A Research Paper to Inform the Development of an Early Years Learning Framework for Australia. Dept. of Education and Early Childhood Development (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Odom, S.L., Horner, R.H., Snell, M.E., Blacher, J.: Handbook of developmental disabilities. The Guilford Press (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Piper, A.M., O’Brien, E., Morris, M.R., Winograd, T.: SIDES: A Cooperative Tabletop Computer Game for Social Skills Development. In: Proc. CSCW 2006. ACM Press (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.National Joint Committee on Learning Disabilities. Comprehensive Assessment and Evaluation of Students with Learning Disabilities (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Wyeth, P., Summerville, J., Adkins, B.: Stomp: An Interactive Platform for People with Intellectual Disabilities. In: Proc. ACE 2011, p. 8. ACM Press (2011)Google Scholar