Realization of Regular Maps of Large Genus
Regular maps are an algebraic concept to describe most symmetric tilings of closed surfaces of arbitrary genus. All such regular maps resp. symmetric tilings of surfaces up to genus 302 are algebraically known in the form of symmetry groups acting on their universal covering space. But still little is known about geometric realizations, i.e. about finding most symmetric embeddings of closed surfaces with high genus and a supported most symmetric tiling. In this report, we will construct some new highly symmetric embeddings of regular maps of up to genus 61 and thereby shed some new light on this fundamental problem at the interface of algebra, differential geometry, and topology.
KeywordsSymmetry Group Hyperbolic Space Fundamental Domain Hyperbolic Plane Edge Graph
We thank Jack van Wijk for material support. This research was supported by the DFG-Collaborative Research Center, TRR109, “Discretization in Geometry and Dynamics”.
- 1.Conder, M.: Regular Maps. http://www.math.auckland.ac.nz/~conder/OrientableRegularMaps301.txt (August 2012)
- 5.Razafindrazaka, F.: Visualization of high genus regular maps. Master’s thesis, Freie Universität Berlin (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Razafindrazaka, F., Polthier, K.: Regular map smoothing. In: DGCI 2013, Seville (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Séquin, C.H.: Patterns on the Genus-3 Klein quartic. In: Proceedings of the BRIDGES 2006 Conference, London, pp. 245–254Google Scholar
- 9.Séquin, C.H.: Symmetric embedding of locally regular hyperbolic tilings. In: Proceedings of the BRIDGES 2007 Conference, San Sebastian, pp. 379–388Google Scholar
- 10.Séquin, C.H.: My search for symmetrical embeddings of regular maps. In: Proceedings of the BRIDGES 2010 Conference, Hungary, pp. 85–94Google Scholar